The proper setup for hotter cams on a 1600cc engine. - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

The proper setup for hotter cams on a 1600cc engine.

Would anyone be able to tell me what the best setup would be on my 1600cc engine. I have a 1967 Giulia sprint gt Veloce and am looking to get slightly more power from engine. So I have just purchased a set of Colombo & Bariani 10.9mm canshafts duration 280, I was told that no modification is needed to the head for these cams, I also installed an electronic distributor. But my question is does my distributor have to be any degrees advanced or back and would I also need to change any of my jets on my Weber DCOE 40/27 carbs?

Help needed,
Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 01:59 AM

considering your questions my advice would be to dyno the car. jetting and ignition are set correctly. because yes jetting will need to be different, and timing probably too. best and imho cheapest option will be : dyno the car.
to do what is needed you need to know what you are doing and why. at the dyno shop they will have that knowledge, and the jets to change.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 05:54 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I ran those cams in a couple of 2L motors. The heads do not need to be modified as there is sufficient clearance in the tappet bores. I also used stock springs.
Where you time the cams will change the engine characteristics. I think that Richard Jemison has posted recommendations for these cams.
Ignition advance for maximum power is unlikely to change as a result of swapping cams. I agree with Veep that dyno testing is probably the best way to optimize Weber jetting but installing a wideband AFR such as a Zeitronix ZT2 and data logging WOT runs will most likely get you to the right place. There is a long thread about that.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

I was hoping not to have to go through that process. All the engine components are new in the engine, I was hoping that someone has already gone through this process and would be able to tell me what their setup is and dyno it at a later date if needed.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 08:27 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Good luck finding that person.
There will be more than one combination of main jet and air corrector that will give correct AFR at peak power. A larger MJ + AC will be richer in the mid range than a smaller combination.
Changes in exhaust system can require jet changes. There are many variables. The good news is that the stock jetting should be close and you just have to make sure that you are not running too lean at WOT and you can do that with plug chops.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 11:24 AM

Cool 1600 cams...

I am one guy.....
On my '66 Duetto rebuilt motor, a well known rebuilder here recomended 10548 intake and standard 1600 Veloce exhaust cam with valve clearances tightened up a few thou each. Stock timing, carb jetting and very moderate port smoothing. Head probably had a little shaved off, but not much...
The results are a very satisfying motor with an increase in torque and great smoothness. One of the best 1600 I have ever built !

The C&B on intake only would probably yield similar results.
Attached Images

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 01:26 AM

considering engine damage by running lean (or way too rich..) is more expensive than aq dyno session I still advice on that dyno session. Or follow the advice with the AFR. But you than need to understand the changes you have to make, the allready written topic on that is a good lead. But I never will understand why people spend money on cams and other changes but hesitate on the logical AND wise last step.

Even on a stock engine a dyno seesion can be good , I have seen stock engines running + 8-10 hp and better torque delivery after a dyno session, just because our modern fules burn differently than the fuels the stock jetting was set....
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 02:54 PM

Don’t faff around. Dyno it. Full stop.

1989 Alfa 75 3.0V6 America - 1971 Alfa Giulia 1300 GT Junior - 1989 Alfa 75 3.0V6 Veloce - 2016 Merc C220 Estate - 2010 Volvo XC60 D5 Polestar
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 04:24 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Don’t faff around. Dyno it. Full stop.
I am a dyno user but I can set an engine up well without one.
Example, when I took my 3L GTV6 to a local dyno it made 206 RWHP on the first pull. Changing the fueling made no improvement but I picked up 8 HP when we advanced the ignition timing by 4 degrees, so I was pretty close.
Example 2, I took my Spider to a friends dyno a few years ago. Playing with the Weber jetting got us from about 135 to 143 RWHP and playing with the timing got us nothing. The advice that I had received to set it at 34 was spot on. I did not have a wideband on that car prior to the dyno session and I had used plug chops to set up the Webers.
Example 3 I will be returning to my friends dyno soon with an extra exhaust cam and we will spend many hours playing with cams and cam timing. That would be very expensive if I did it on the local dyno. My road testing has shown the effect of moving cam LC's and we want some real numbers.
Anyone who uses a data logging wideband and who has a stretch of road to do 3rd gear WOT runs can get very close to optimum setup.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

Last edited by alfaparticle; 03-03-2019 at 04:27 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode