Hot spark ignition install for alfetta - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Hot spark ignition install for alfetta

Finished installing a Hot Spark ignition module in my 79 Mille miglia. I am using a euro 1750 Bosch distributor instead of the marelli dual point and its related gadgets. The hot spark module fit perfectly and the rubber grommet for the wires passing through fit perfect. Hookup was very simple with 2 wires from the distributor, 1 to negative side of coil and other to the distributor side of the ballast. Hot spark recommends using a ballast resister to limit voltage to the module so I just reused the original. I did replace the coil with the recommended beru blue coil. Note that the original green lead to the coil is disconnected and not used. The car started first try much easier than before and seems to run very well. About $75 for everything
Attached Images

87 graduate, 81 gtv6, 91 164s, 73 berlina 79 Mille miglia GONE: 76 alfetta gt, 74 berlina, 85 gtv6, 79 spider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 06:32 PM
Platinum Subscriber

If the Beru blue coil is like a Bosch Blue coil then it has a built in resistor so then you would have two of them. This would result in weaker sparks at higher rpm that could affect engine performance.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

You may be right. The instructions arenít real clear about that but reading up on the beru coil shows it having a 3.3 ohm resistance. Would clean up the coil wiring! Thanks for the heads-up

87 graduate, 81 gtv6, 91 164s, 73 berlina 79 Mille miglia GONE: 76 alfetta gt, 74 berlina, 85 gtv6, 79 spider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 03:15 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Use a Bosch CDI Box in mine and it works great. No Changes, except the coil, same as yours. I've had issues with the coil wire too much voltage. Instead of 12V pumping through the wire it's 400V, don't know how much juice yours generates? Had to replace the wires with a more robust set and all was solved. Burnt out 3 coil wires before I figured this out!

Also don't use the resistor in my setup. It's not require for my setup and it may not be required for yours? I can change mine back by changing 3 wires, backup! Here's me setup in me race car, but it's in a different car, but exactly the same. You can see I have the backup on the right. This setup is in both my 75's

Name:  DA BOX.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  259.7 KB

AlfasRule!

1972 Montreal (The Pumpkin)
1975 Alfetta Sedan
1975 Alfetta Coupe Race Car
1982 Spider
1984 GTV-6
1984 GTV-6 Verde (GiGi)
1987 Milano (Da NEW Winta Beata)
1987 Milano Verde(Da kREDden Mobile)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Wow! 400volts? A side effect of the cdi unit? Iím going to check voltage at the coil tomorrow

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 05:43 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
It's a ONE_SHOT, Old technical term, the points close and send a 400V pulse to the primary of the ignition coil, instead of 12V. Starts better and run smoother. It's a quick and easy upgrade, plug and play. Da Pumpkin has a Dual setup, which still have the original points(believe me), so I just put one in me 75's. Got mine on the Porsche Forum cause ALFA guys charge $800.00, but I got mine for $275.00. Wiring Middle 12V(from the 6V Coil green wire behind the oil breather 10 amp fuse), Right Points, Left Bosch Coil(PINK + to Coil). Ground above the 3 prong connector to the box as well as the minus of the coil. Picture above! My oscilloscope is too old to down load the pictures, it's got a 3 1/2 drive on her, but the DSA-602 is the best.

Me Race Car with NO Chokes starts right up, and the Sedan w/ Spica does the same.

Porsche 911 Technical Forum - Pelican Parts Forums

AlfasRule!

1972 Montreal (The Pumpkin)
1975 Alfetta Sedan
1975 Alfetta Coupe Race Car
1982 Spider
1984 GTV-6
1984 GTV-6 Verde (GiGi)
1987 Milano (Da NEW Winta Beata)
1987 Milano Verde(Da kREDden Mobile)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode