Fully Sequential Spark and Fuel - Cam & Crank Signal - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 02:36 AM
Duk

Garage
To add a little to IanB's comments, the camshaft speed/half engine speed sensor simply provides a reset to the ECU so it knows what half of the 720* cycle the engine is in.
Some cam speed sensors have 180* of trigger edge so that the ECU can figure out as early as possible during cranking where the engine is. After all, the ECU won't know where the engine stopped when the ignition is switched off and it has to figure that out by having the appropriate reset edge go pass the sensor.

A classic example would be for the Bosch 60-2 CAS with no cam speed reset, where the engine has stopped just after the minus 2 reset point. The engine must be cranked a full turn before the ECU can fire injectors or ignition, because it just has no idea where the engine is in its rotational position. But in the mean time, on a 6 cylinder engine, 3 induction strokes, 3 compression stokes and 3 exhaust stokes will take place. And that causes strain on the starter motor and drain on the battery.

Slowly Progressing Vortech Supercharged 1990 Alfa Romeo 75 Potenziata. Out of Action Twin-Charged 1988 AW11 MR2. Current Daily Driver, The Glorified Taxi 2006 BF FPV F6 Typhoon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Ok, fitment continues!
With my back-woods, garage monkey approach, you'll see the brilliance I am trying to create with these photo's.

For anyone else attempting to do this.
Next time, just buy the **** black plastic adapter (linked on page 1) and adapt that to your distributor.

Now, onto the craziness I chose to take on.
Bought a 4x4x1 aluminum block off ebay for 12$ shipped (in hindsight a 1/2" thick one is all I needed).
Mill it with your router, drill holes with your drill press, make it perfectly centered on everything.
Fit it together, and you find the rubber tab slot for your distributor needs to be .22"...the Alfa is like .18" (to narrow).
Break out the angle grinder and the dremel, slowly....slowly grind away till you think it fits.
Spend about 2 hrs, still doesn't fit....take a break and come back at it tomorrow.

Any idea's on making my own 'custom' rubber piece for this fitment?
So far it's a 7-10 on the fabrication scale, 10=e-type jag rolled fender, 1=self drilling screw through metal fastener install.

drilling
AEM EPM - Install and adapter and fitting by Ian Bennett, on Flickr

milling to thickness

'finished' adapter plate (still not sure if it's finished, but it does fit.

No Mas

How thick the gap in the distrutor 'slot' should be in MM.

Work continues and so will the photo's till this thing is 'done'.
Still might spend the 45$ for the printer one, but probably to deep into this BS aluminum already, and it's not what's holding me back.
It's the slot int he distributor that's holding me back right now.

Ian
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 07:28 AM

Garage
@IanB

Did you ever get this to run?

Thanks
Alessandro

Learning, learning..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlessandroM View Post
@IanB

Did you ever get this to run?

Thanks
Alessandro

The plan is to still use this setup. Head has been at the machine shop for 5 months, but I think will be ready soon. ECU won’t be purchased till next spring and then we’ll crank for the first time and try to get some signal off this contraption.

However, a friend on Instagram tried this very setup with a fully machined adapter and for whatever reason wasn’t able to get a signal. So, with that experience I am worried this may not work. My friends fall-back was the normal crank sensor and going to batch fueling not sequential. We’ll see what my fate is next year.

Ian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 09:23 AM

Maybe not as clean installed, but for sure lighter
The cam sensor i mean...

Tags
cam signal, crank signal, sequential fuel, sequential spark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode