1993 Veloce Spyder I need more power - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

1993 Veloce Spyder I need more power

My 1993 2.0L is a little sluggish, is there a way to get more power?
Chip? Headers? Exhaust? Cams?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 11:38 AM

I put in a Squadra Chip on my 92 and it definitely made a difference. Some people report having put in the chip with no change- but for me it definitely worked.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 09:27 PM

First check and make sure everything is up to spec. Is the VVT plunger engaging? What's the compression like? O2 sensor OK? Is the cat flowing freely? A Squadra chip won't do much on a worn out engine.

The S4 pistons and exhaust manifold are very good, not much power to be found there. You can't just drop a set of standard Alfa hot cams in due to the VVT mechanism. A free flowing cat might help, especially if the one in there isn't too good. You could get more oomph off the line by swapping the rear axle with one from a '70s Spider, but the tradeoff is higher revs on the highway.

If you really want a fast S4 and are willing to spend big $$$, this thread shows what it would take: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...r-project.html

If you have a few hundred $$ burning a hole in your pocket and just want a bit more oomph then yes, you can try the Squadra chip. You can get them from Squadra directly in the Netherlands or through Alfissimo here in the states.

-Jason

Jason Arrington
1989 Spider driver
1974 Spider restoration project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 06:05 AM
Platinum Subscriber

This link describes the build of probably the fastest S4 Spider. It should give you some ideas:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...r-project.html

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 11:09 AM

That's an amazing thread- thanks for posting it. I'd love to take my own Spider that way when the bucks are there and that thread is a great resource.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 02:34 PM
Platinum Subscriber

The Bosch FI is the limiting factor for you. You will probably have to switch to programmable FI to get significant power gains. Cams make a big difference. My 79 motor with Webers makes almost 170HP and there is probably some more to come when I start on the exhaust and the intake systems. It just has high compression pistons, RJR cams and a ported head. There is nothing else very high tech in it.
I have a Bosch injected 3L V6 and I have a good set of cams for it but I will have to install a programmable FI at the same time that I swap the cams.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 02:43 PM

There's always the V6 swap route
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 03:00 PM

I know of an Alfa guy working on a turbo kit- thinks it'll add about 50 reliable hp. For myself, that might be the best route when it's ready, as it won't have to dig too deep into the engine and should be fairly cost effective for the gain- if it works as planned of course.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 03:46 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
I know of an Alfa guy working on a turbo kit- thinks it'll add about 50 reliable hp. For myself, that might be the best route when it's ready, as it won't have to dig too deep into the engine and should be fairly cost effective for the gain- if it works as planned of course.
I am no expert on turbo's but I did mess with supercharged engines many years ago. I would be surprised if the Bosch FI could handle a turbocharged engine. To get more power you have to use more gas and the FI controls that.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 06:46 PM

Yes, that's a good point and could be true. But the guy doing it is an Alfa tuner so I imagine he knows what he's doing. It's meant to be pretty much bolt on, with an intercooler, etc. He said he's a few months away but if/when it's ready I'll check it out and post any relevant info.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 04:11 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by patpend2000 View Post
There's always the V6 swap route
Or the 5.0L V8 swap.

I want to do a V6 swap to my Berlina someday.

Ian Lomax - Current: 1973 Berlina, 1984 GTV6, 1987 Milano Platinum "racecar"
Past: 71, 74 Spiders, 2x 74 Berlina, 74 GTV, 76 Alfetta GT, 88 Milano 3.0, 97 164LS
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 05:47 PM

On the upside, I believe GM's 5.7L alloy V8 LSX is fully legal as an engine swap, as it can come with a full emissions package. I'd ready GM lobbied to get that in the CA rules for it. Not absolutely sure, though... But personally, I'd never put a SBC or SBF in an Alfa no matter the power gain. It's the 'Alfaness' I love and a lot of that's in the engine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode