Megasquirt Tuning discussion - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Megasquirt Tuning discussion

Thought I'd start this to people to chat about their tunes, get help etc. Also makes one thread where I'll dump my tune link into for people who are interested in comparing. I'll edit my post with a new link to the most up to date tune I'm running.
I'd actually like to see some other tunes myself. See what people are doing for particular settings.

Please don't just download my tune and try running your car on it though! Or any others! Who knows what's different compared to your requirements or set up!

I'd appreciate any input from other Megasquirt guys. If you see an issue with a setting I'm using or could improve something somewhere, post it up! I'm only an amateur after all.

I can't post my tune directly to this site via the attachments. Instead I took advice from someone to try using www.dropbox.com and then posting the link here. It's simple enough to use, a bit more fiddly than uploading attachments but ask me how and I'll help if you get stuck.

What I have running as of today:

MS1, pcb2.2 with MSns extra firmware 029y4a. Built with Steve Rosser's guide, just not into a Bosch case, instead I made an adaptor harness. Innovate LC-1 wideband kit with dash gauge.
I'm only controlling fuel at the moment, but I intend to run ignition soon...ish

No AFM, Greg's intake, JJ/Dowie cams [been too long to remember details... Group 1?] and CSC headers are the main parts. Standard injectors.

My tune link here > Current tune as of 22/6/2014

I daily drive this car no problems. Work is about 35kms each way. Cruising tune areas are very good IMO.
I'm still playing with cold start settings. I'm close now though, very close.

Warm idle, 30 degree cel' or over, it starts and idles great.

It all still needs work and dyno time for the higher RPM but I'm pretty happy with it.

Last edited by jazig.k; 06-23-2014 at 03:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 02:44 PM
Gold Subscriber

Do you use Megalog viewer or TunerStudio?

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

View my '91 164s adventure at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread, now parts car status:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

I use Tuner Studio, registered version for both tuning and data logs. Not only worth it for analyze live (auto tuning) but for the tune comparison whenever you plug the laptop into the megasquirt and have made changes offline. It hours you the differences between the loaded tune and the offline tune so you can review the highlighted ifferences before choosing which one you want to use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

New tune update in the first post.
Getting cold start close. Just need some proper cold morning starts.

Here's a 'cold' start log.

I have spikes in my AFR going lean for a moment during cold idle with zero throttle. I think the car is missing and the sensor is picking up unburnt oxygen? Still have no ICV. Anyone?

Warm up Enrichment auto tune keeps telling me to run 100% [no enrich]. I do run a richer idle in my VE map, but it's the only way to keep the car with a steady idle RPM because of the duration of cams.

Edit:
Half way through the log I turned the car off. My dash AFR gauge sometimes reads 7.5 all the time and needs a reset to fix it.

Last edited by jazig.k; 06-08-2014 at 01:16 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 03:46 AM Thread Starter

Ok, a few changes. I've updated the first post to include my new tune.

Currently running the A/C aux air valve as my fast idle, which I think I will use permanently. Much cleaner in the engine bay, already plumbed in. I do need to wire it in properly because I've been manually switching it.
I don't use my A/C and it will all be coming out soon [Been the plan for a year or 2... Soon is a very loosely used term...].
The only 'problem' with it is it doesn't have a midway point. It's open or closed only at a set temp. Not a problem for me.

Here's a log I just made from cold start. Cold start log 22-6-2014

Won't change anything in my tune for a few days. Not driving it at the moment so cold starting once at 6am and once around 6~7pm.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 10:33 AM

Garage
injector settings

Hy,

Im also back with my megasquirt milano. It took some time after a total engine rebuild and now Im running the ms2extra with the standard fuel injection equipment of the milano (first time I was running the milano with a 164 injection).
Therefor Im using the standard low impedance injectors.

I need some help with the injector caracteristics.
Are my settings correct?

Regards,
Peter
Attached Images

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

My settings page is a little different on ms1e, but it should give you an idea.

I believe the Required fuel setting is a tad low [actually works out to be more like 18.2 if I remember correctly?]. Ignore it though, raising or lowering that will just richen or lean my whole VE table equally, as I understand it. I haven't changed it from when I used Steve Rosser's base tune.
Attached Images

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 10:29 PM
Gold Subscriber

Yes, a miss will show up as lean.

We've just installed a MS3Pro from DIYAutotune into our racecar. Its replacing a Haltech.

So far its been very easy, in comparison.

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:

View my '91 164s adventure at:

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread, now parts car status:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 05:52 PM

Garage
86 - 105 with ITBs MS2ex and 3.57 board

Hey all,
I'm just buttoning up my 86 that has been built with Paul Spruell bits via Jim K's outline. 11:1 pistons, 303 cams and GSXR ITB's. It's been fun.
I'm going with alpha-N because SD just doesn't work with the ITBs' I built a vacuum manifold that runs across the GSXR injection ports to get a decent stable MAP and a place to attach my brake booster. Seemed work well but with the ITB's and big cams vacuum is low, or none unless I'm downshifting.
The only issue I have is a serious power drop from about 2800RPM to 3200RPM which is unfortunately 2nd gear coming out of a corner and 5th gear cruising at 100kph. I think the problem may be the headers. I have Centerline headers, which, all things considered are okay on a stock engine but with the air coming in via the ITB's I believe they end up being restrictive. Everything ahead of the headers has been opened up to 38mm and the headers are ~36mm. She pulls strong through to 7000RPM and I haven't felt it come over the top of the hill yet. I'm a little nervous with anything over 7000 at this point.
If anyone has any questions ask away. I'm no pro and might have done some thing no-quite-right but she runs well and i did put a lot of detail work into it.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 08:05 AM

Garage
I'm running 2 nord engines using MS2extra with ITB and alpha-n for several years. Are you using tunerstudio? Have you datalogged the problem area? I'm not so sure its your headers. I'd like to see your msq and datalog files out of curiosity.

Tom
68 Giulia GT Jr , 71 Montreal, 74 Spider, 74 Lotus Europa TC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode