trouble revving over 4,000rpm - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

trouble revving over 4,000rpm

89 Alfa Spider Ljetronic having trouble revving over 4,000 rpms when driving...bogs as well between first and second....any idea where to look?....also, oil pressure gauge reads low on idle but normalizes when driving...should I be concerned about oil pressure sensor or gauge or am I looking at a bad oil pump?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 05:32 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberAdministratorSuper Moderator

Garage
It is 'normal' for the oil pressure gauge to read low with warm oil at idle. If you connect a mechanical gauge it'd read a more reasonable pressure under those condition - don't worry about it.

As for the revving, first check the tach. They are also known to not be very accurate. If it is really the engine that won't rev to redline then start by going through the L-jet Diagnosis page. Check especially for intake air or vacuum leaks. L-jet is very intolerant of 'false air' (the L stands for Luft - German for air).

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 05:52 AM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

issues

Most likely its a air leak around the rubber crossover tube that occurs when the engine torque leans the motor to the passenger side.

Tubes get hard with age, and the passenger side motor mount sags with time and use. You should replace both, but as a test wrap both ends of the tube with duct tape which will temporarily stop the leaks.

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

I had covered all of the leaks mentioned in the diagnosis.I think I am having issues with the AAV valve.I am trying to get to work properly when engine is cold..completely bogged out when cold.also negative on the battery is loose and I am about to fix that as well
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 08:27 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberAdministratorSuper Moderator

Garage
The AAV provides air to bypass the throttle plate - the intent is to increase the cold idle. I don't think a faulty AAV would cause the symptoms you describe.

Definately fix the battery cables (clean & secure all of them while you are at it).

As Richard advises, engine torque can open up a small split in the air duct that crosses over the engine. This messes up the Air Flow Meter's calculations for fuel. It does not take a large leak to mess up the L-jet system.

L-jet is a system - all the bits have to work for it to work right. Go through all the checks in the L-jet diagnosis page to get it working properly.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 08:29 AM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghnl View Post
As for the revving, first check the tach. They are also known to not be very accurate.
This. For an '89 Spider, if the tach has never been adjusted I can almost guarantee it's reading low.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode