123 electronic distributor - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

123 electronic distributor

Does anyone have a source for 123 electronic distributers in the US?

Unless I'm missing something, even 123's website doesn't show the electronic version for Alfa's.

Biba

AlfaCyberSite.com
BibaRestorations.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 01:17 PM

Hi Biba, i have not ordered from here, but this is a US distributor of 123 distributors:

Alfa programable and pre programmed distributors

they have dizzys to fit Nord & 2600. vacuum or no-vacuum advance. pre-programmed or programmable.

Dionisio di Fiflos
73 GTV - 81 GTV-6 *R.I.P.* - 65 Mustang GT Vert - Honda Hawk GT - Yamaha FZ6

Last edited by darth dino; 03-26-2014 at 02:42 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 02:16 PM
Platinum Subscriber

IAP list them: Alfa Romeo and Fiat Distributors

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate both of your suggestions, but neither place has the Electronic controllable (as in with a lap-top) distributor.

I'll add that this will be for a 1750 engine.

Biba

AlfaCyberSite.com
BibaRestorations.com
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biba69 View Post
neither place has the Electronic controllable (as in with a lap-top) distributor.
are you sure? 123ignition.com does not show a picture, but they say the 'D' version is the user programmable style, and is listed in the pull down menu. give 'em a call and find out for sure.

"TUNE 4-R-V-D"

supposed to fit Nord 1300-2000

Dionisio di Fiflos

Last edited by darth dino; 03-26-2014 at 04:50 PM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

darth dino, you are correct. Do you by any chance have the D electronic version? If so, does it come with a 'starter' or 'general' program?

Biba

AlfaCyberSite.com
BibaRestorations.com
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 08:50 PM

i don't have one yet, but i am planning on it. i like that it has vacuum advance and a programmable advance curve, unlike the other performance dizzys.

there is a thread on the 123. check it out!

-Dion

Dionisio di Fiflos
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 07:23 PM

I have bought the '123 TUNE' version from both Classic Alfa and Alfaholics in the UK - they both loaded curves in before despatching to me. I suggest to buy from Alfaholics - I'm half the world away from them (so much further than you) and delivery is just a few days. The 123 TUNE is a great product - works well and at a glance doesn't look different from an original. I run the Bosch coil. I have a Petronix Flamethrower coil too but haven't tried that yet. There are some good threads on the BB from other 123 users.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 05:48 PM

Just received mine (programmable). It didn't come with the USB cable and I don't recognize the connector. It doesn't look like a scanner or camera port, nor does it look like a phone port. Does anyone know what kind of port it is?? Wilson, did you get the cable with your order?

Thanks,

Stefano
Concord, CA
iachella [at] gmail [dot] com
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 05:50 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Yeah, I had the same confusion. It looks weird but it's a standard mini USB connector. Not the micro USB one most phones use.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 06:36 PM

No the cable didn't come with the distributor but I had no trouble purchasing one. I've since had a camera using the same connector and my Navman uses the same. Radioshack?
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 07:34 PM

Hint re the 123 Tune connecting cable

The connector can be quite difficult to mate into the distributor when the distributor is mounted to the engine (I use a mirror to help line it up). If you haven't already mounted your distributor, I suggest you plug in the connector, tape the cable to the distributor then mount the distributor to the engine. Have fun - the 123 Tune is a fascinating piece of technology.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 08:37 PM

OK, found a cable that fits. I'm programming the thing right now on the dining room table. Probably a week or two before I can install it. What can anyone tell me about the MAP advance/retard curve. I didn't realize it had one, or maybe I didn't order the one everyone else did. Anyway, I do have a spare vacuum port I can use, so I might as well use it. Are there any tips on how to set a few values?
Attached Images

Stefano
Concord, CA
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 07:42 PM

Hi Stefano,

i compiled this chart comparing curves, for when i finally get a 123 Tune for myself. the stock USA 2L vacuum advance is included. the stock curves average out the factory range per dizzy, and use the factory static setting. the Jim K. and Alfaholics curves are third party info from the BB, so i cannot verify their accuracy.

if you program yours for more than stock idle speed "mechanical" advance ("initial advance"), i would use a lower max vacuum advance at idle vacuum. for example, many engines seem to like around 20* of advance at idle. so if you set your static timing at 10*, i would start with a max vacuum advance setting of 10*. 10* initial +10* vacuum gives 20* at idle. then, to optimize the settings later, you can turn up or down your vacuum curve if you do or don't hear pinging under certain loads.

one thing interesting i noticed, is that the stock Alfa vacuum advance starts pretty late, around 10 inches Hg of vacuum. the american V8s i work on usually have their vacuum advance starting between 0 and 5 in. Hg.

looking at the 123 Tune charts above, i like how they use Manifold Absolute Pressure, so it looks like you can also retard for boost pressure!

i notice only 7 points on the the 123 Tune centrifugal curve above. the instructions i downloaded say you can input up to 10 points. is that true?
Attached Images

Dionisio di Fiflos

Last edited by darth dino; 05-20-2014 at 11:22 PM. Reason: higher quality photo
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 06:44 AM

Adding points is pretty easy. It didn't say how to add a point to one of the sample graphs, but after a little investigation I found out. You right click on the curve where you want a new point and it asks you if you want a new point.

Points can be slid up and down vertically on the graph with the cursor, but not horizontally. For that, you have to manually edit the boxes on the right. All in all, if you have curve in your mind, it is a couple of minutes to get it on the graph.

Thanks for the vacuum graph. I'll start with that to get it going. I will probably take it to a dyno guy after I install an Ingram pump and an 11mm intake cam later this summer. Big cams create a different than stock manifold pressure and can take some more fiddling.

Stefano
Concord, CA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode