Oil Pressure Sender - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
Oil Pressure Sender

I had an oil pressure sender/gauge (Jaeger) on a 72 Super with an Alfetta 2L that read zero or below at idle but seemed fine otherwise. It went to mid-scale and held at higher revs and dropped when it needed too, just too low. A mechanic commented all I needed to do was replace it with a new sender unit. Which I did, with the correct one for a later and Jaeger gauge system, the sender with the plastic protector around the connector wire, same as the one that came off.

Now the gauge is all over the place. Basically at high revs, it reads low, and at low revs it reads mid-scale. And it just seems to wander a bit on its own schedule. No leaks at the connection.

Bad sender? How to test once I get it off? It required removing the intake plenum to get off. Seems like I've noted a spate of oil pressure sender posts recently. Any pattern? B

Anfanuts; Ph.A., B.S.A., U. of NOTASME
Now
- Spider Veloce, '69 US1750/4.56 LSD (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) - since '75 for that early mid-life crisis!
- Pinyo - '72 Super, 2L/4.30LSD (
)(
) - for that late mid-life crisis!!
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56

- for the heck of it now!!!
- Dijonaise- '73 Giulia Super 1.6, Giallo Piper/black, very stock (
) - for the 2017 Euro trip -

- "PF Ziggy" - 1991 ES-30 Sprint Zagato #550 - for pure hedonism now -

Gone-
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black -
-

- Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (
) -

- '70 1300 TI, 2L/4.10LSD, white/black - for a short while only . . .
- Benjamin - '76 ex-Nuova to 1600 Super (
) - for the 2011 Euro trip
- '69 1750 Berlina (wish I still had)
Links
Pinyo's 2010, 10 wk, 8000 mi "Super" Euro-Trip Blog -

Benjamin's 2011, 7 week, 3500 mile "Super2" Euro-Trip Blog -

Gina Lolo's 2011 Alfa Convention, 3350 mile Roadtrip blog -

Dijonaise's 2017 6 week, 4400 mile Euro Driving Trip blog -

Dijonaise's 2019, 5 week, 3800 mile Euro Driving Trip blog -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 06:35 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via Skype™ to aikendrum105
Hi Bruce, I had similar behaviour when using a later Veglia sender with my early '66 Veglia gauge...

Once I got the right one - it behaves pretty much as you describe - hot idle barely registers, but as soon as the revs pick up a little, the pressure rises.. I wired up the Low Pressure warning sensor (the engine is a TS and had one already) and that light stays out even though the gauge reads pretty much zero at idle.. after shutting off a hot engine, it still takes about 10 seconds for the light to come on.. so there's pressure there somewhere

Hope that helps a little. I'd be happier if it showed more pressure at idle on the gauge...

[B][COLOR=#696969]Scott Murray[/COLOR][/B]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#808080]'04 156 JTS Sportwagon -- brilliant car for the daily, kids taxi and parts hauling[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=#696969]in officina [/COLOR][COLOR=Blue]-
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#808080]'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 -- TwinSpark+MS3+ITB+COP[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#808080]'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=#696969]che figata -[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#808080]

[/COLOR][/SIZE]
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Scott, the problem is that I changed that one that read low for one now that seems to read opposite (high when idle, low when > 3000 rpm. And what carAnd it seems to wander a bit. I guess I could pull it and bench test it. I have a spare Jaeger and Vegllia oil pressure gauge.

Now
)(
)(
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56

Gone-
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black -
-

- Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (
) -

Links

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 10:13 AM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Sounds like a mismatch between the sender and gauge.

Anyway, your old one sounds like it was mostly working. I would try the "drill a hole in it" trick to relieve the internal pressure and put it back on: I've gotten a couple of senders that were reading below zero to work by doing this. Some details in the thread below.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-...re-sender.html

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
That's what it sounds like to me but the Centerline picture and description indicates it is the correct one (the source).

https://centerlinealfa.com/electrical-system/1570

https://centerlinealfa.com/store/1569

Now
)(
)(

Gone-
-

) -

Links

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 01:21 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfanuts View Post
That's what it sounds like to me but the Centerline picture and description indicates it is the correct one (the source).
A few weeks ago, I would have said the same thing: the style with the plastic shroud around the connector is correct for a later car, while the style with the tab held on by a stud & nut is the earlier style. I too believed you could tell them apart just by looking.

However, I have since learned that it isn't as simple as that. The sender I just bought from Alfaholics, and installed in my 164, has a stud & nut and works correctly. And the one that it replaced (and that worked OK when new) was the style with the plastic shroud.

My guess is that several companies are making these senders and produce them with different external appearances.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 04-26-2013 at 01:28 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Maybe I'll just put the old one back on . . . . It's only wrong at idle. It's twice as accurate. All we can go by is the descriptions given. I'll call Ian.

Now
)(
)(

Gone-
-

) -

Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode