What are the options with a stock motronic? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

What are the options with a stock motronic?

I have a 164 3.0 motor with a stock motronic system going into my 67 stepnose. The motor has 10:1 pistons, RJR cams and ported heads.

Knowing nothing about a stock system - is it tunable? Re-flash, re program etc.?

Is there a dyno person experienced with the system who has tuning skills in the greater Southern California area?

Thanks in advance

Neil
63 Giulia Spider
67 Sprint GT
78 Sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 05:30 PM

12 or 24 valve?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

It is a 12 valve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 05:40 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Al Mitchel - Reale on ABB can most likely help you with a Megasquirt conversion if you decide to go that route. Al has his own dyno and he has done enough Megasquirts that he can do a plug and play unit that will be good for your setup. There was a thread about a year ago where he reported a 30 HP gain just by replacing L-jet with Megasquirt.

I will be putting Richard's cams in my 164 motor and I will have Al do a MS box for me at the same time.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Thanks for the input.

I was really asking if the stock system was tunable.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 05:50 PM

Yes, the 12v Motronic ECU is easy to re-map.
Options range from purchasing an off-the-shelf chip from Squadra, to fitting a real-time programmable module to the ECU so you can tune while the car is driving.
Basic datalogging is also possible with these ECUs, which really assists tuning.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 06:40 PM

So, Festy,

Do you have any recommendations or sources for the real-time modules? I'd be interested in learning more about how to program a motronic unit.

David

1967 Mustang fastback perpetually under construction?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 Alfa Spider (Soon to be a Turbo Spider!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1997 Volvo 850 T-5

1974 Chevy 3/4 ton hauls the leftovers away
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 08:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to Grant
Hey Neil,

I have a fair amount of experience tuning cars with stand alone ECU's. I am looking to dive into the world of EPROM tuning...if anything comes of it I will let you know!

1987 Milano Platinum - check for many new items. [B][COLOR="Red"]
[/COLOR][/B]

1989 Verde - Harsh shocks and SS rears, 27mm torsion bars, stainless lines, pads, 16X7.5 rims, 4.10 rebuilt platinum tranny, poly bushes, and RSR 28mm front and 25.4mm adjustable sways!

1984 GTV-6 - 80K miles
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroni View Post
So, Festy,

Do you have any recommendations or sources for the real-time modules? I'd be interested in learning more about how to program a motronic unit.
I make the real-time conversion kit - it involves replacing the ECU's EPROM with a special module, and uses modified ECU firmware to allow on-the-fly changes to be uploaded.
Using the Tuner Pro RT program in conjunction with a software plug-in I've written, you can download and upload maps etc from the ECU's diagnostics port with a laptop.

The same system is used for datalogging, sensor interrogation and fault reading/clearing.

Another option for programming the Motronics is the old fashioned chip swapping.
All you need is a $50 eprom burner, a couple of flash chips, and the Tuner Pro program.
InstiTS put together a couple of "getting started" videos to demonstrate this method, see

And a quick demo of real-time re-mapping the ignition timing.
(The ECU is hooked up to an engine simulator here)

The 164 12v ECU is essentially the same as the 75/164 twinspark ECU (and all other ML4.1 ECUs), so if you want to know anything specific about these systems there's a good chance it's been mentioned in this thread already.
But the 164 24v ECU is a very different animal, I haven't got a real-time system ready for them yet but once I get my hands on one of these ECUs it shouldn't take me long... they're just a bit rare (and expensive) here in australia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode