Alfa 75 best ECU - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Alfa 75 best ECU

Hi guys,

we are making a conversion from a TS to TS Turbo. However, we are stucked! We don't know what ECU to buy. We are fluctuating between Link Engine Management, haltech, motec. It will be great if you share some experience with us.

PS Any one using: PLX Devices M-300 Tuner Edition?

Regards,

Lozzko
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 06:45 PM

What are your requirements (besides budget)?
Are you planning on using an AFM, MAF, MAP or Alpha-N setup?

If you're working to a tight budget and keeping the AFM, you could re-map your Motronic ECU as a starting point, but it's not in the same league as a proper aftermarket EMS.

Generally speaking, I consider Haltech to be pretty good value for money but that's not saying that it's the best or only choice for your situation.
There's plenty of different options and everyone has their personal preference.
Motec while being technically good, are probably more expensive than comparable brands (not that I've compared prices recently though).

Who's going to tune it? If you have a tuner in mind, you might want to check that they can/will work with the brand you're considering before you purchase. Some tuners only want to work with the brand(s) they sell for some reason
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

My friend and I are going to tune it. We definetly want to use aftermarket in order to have better control and to manupulate everything on our own. It will bring more functionality in the way of ignition and injection. Thus, we are going to make sufficient changes and have a data of the performance.

PLX Devices M-300 Tuner Edition I think it will be useful. Wouln't be better than AFM and MAF?

I haven't hear about MAP or Alpha-N setup. As much as I understood what does it mean in google. I don't think is efficient solution.

Lozzko
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
My friend and I are going to tune it. We definetly want to use aftermarket in order to have better control and to manupulate everything on our own. It will bring more functionality in the way of ignition and injection. Thus, we are going to make sufficient changes and have a data of the performance.
Not trying to talk you into staying with the Motronic, but it can do all that these days.
If you weren't turbocharging, then maybe I would try and convince you to try it

A wideband O2 sensor is essential. I quite like the 14point7.com kits - but regardless of the brand, you really need one if you're tuning yourself.
This doesn't replace MAF/AFM etc, it just tells you what your AFR is. You then use that to adjust your fuelling.
Some EMSs incorporate "wideband logging" where you capture the AFR in the datastream. This will then show you what your actual AFR was at different areas of the fuel map, so you know which cells need to be leaner/richer and by how much.
Then there are some EMSs that can self-tune - with a WB connected to the ECU's input, it can adjust it's own fuel maps based on the AFR feedback.

As for AFM/MAF/MAP/Alpha-N, these are the different methods of determining air ingest (and therefor fuel requirements).

AFM (what you have on the standard engine) measures the flow of air with a spring loaded flap.
How far open the flap is tells the ECU how much air is being sucked in to the cylinders.

MAF measures the mass (weight) of the air entering the engine - well, actually it calculates rather than measures but anyway then the ECU uses that figure to calculate fuel.

MAP is Manifold Absolute Pressure, it measures the vacuum (or boost) pressure in the inlet manifold, which is then used with a VE (Volumetric Efficiency) table to determine the air being drawn into the engine.

Alpha-N is simple, it determines fuelling based on RPM and throttle position. Tuning an alpha-N system can be a long and tricky process though.

I'm no expert on this stuff, but off the top of my head some pros and cons are:
AFM:
pro: you've already got one, and they adapt to engine changes well
con: they wear out with age, some say they obstruct the air flow too much and they take up lots of space
MAF:
pro: reasonably fast to react, good at adapting to engine changes, good for fuel economy etc (so are used on most new cars these days)
con: still obstruct the airflow a bit
MAP:
pro: cheap, don't obstruct the airflow at all, fast to react, small
con: VE table will need re-tuning on engine changes eg new cam/ported head etc.
Alpha-N:
pro: only need crank and throttle sensor, can work better than the others on ITBs or very lumpy cams, fast reaction time
con: not much fun to tune, needs re-tuning on engine changes.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 05:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Grant
I have tuned most ecus out there (including Motec) EXCEPT Haltech unfortunately. Motec is pretty awesome (I did an M400) but not worth the money at an enthusiast level. It's best for teams that need data logging and absolute reliability.

Your best bet is to look into which ECU's handle whatever cam angle or crank angle sensor you will be using as a starting point. From there you can consider features and benefits of each.

I do not recommend: AEM EMS-4, Microtech, Stinger EMS series, Megasquirt. These were the most time consuming/frustrating ECU's to tune.

1987 Milano Platinum - check for many new items. [B][COLOR="Red"]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/COLOR][/B]

1989 Verde - Harsh shocks and SS rears, 27mm torsion bars, stainless lines, pads, 16X7.5 rims, 4.10 rebuilt platinum tranny, poly bushes, and RSR 28mm front and 25.4mm adjustable sways!

1984 GTV-6 - 80K miles
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 05:41 AM

Hi

I use the ECU from DTA it has absolutely everythings You need.
Never broke an engine with the DTA. Of course with turbo, and with the TS engine.

Regards
Mende

Best regards
Mende
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 06:53 AM

I like SDS, comes with the wiring harness, easy to set up, and reliable enough for aircraft. sdsefi.com

Greg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode