123ignition.nl wiring question - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

123ignition.nl wiring question

Jim at Alfaholics has answered most of my questions, but bowed out regarding the blue wire - not to mention I'm more than a bit confused as to how to set up the yellow one.

Blue wire: is it just standard to ground this wire...or not?

Yellow wire: Jim said this was for a limp home program if you need to use low octane fuel. One installs it to a switch in the interior. Okay...and the other end of the switch goes??? I doubt if it will ever be needed, but if I can set up the yellow wire to plug into where ever it needs to go under the hood, then that should suffice.

However...in the manual above the comment regarding the yellow wire, "...Too much advance at high revs will eventually ruin an engine...always be aware of this! This example also indicates that it is possible to integrate (part of) the static-advance into the 123\TUNE. (Which means zip to me).

Below this comment is "Switch from curve #1 to curve #2. -- A very nice and easy way to interactively check (referring to the above static-advance comments???), is to is switch over from curve no. 1 to curve no. 2 with the yellow wire. (see the drawing at the end of this manual; please note the difference for NEG & POS EARTH-ed cars.)"

Of course the black dot as to where the yellow wire goes is so terribly informative.
Attached Images

Biba

AlfaCyberSite.com
BibaRestorations.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 06:39 PM

I read that as "connect the yellow wire to ground for curve #1, or connect it to 12v for curve #2" ?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by festy View Post
I read that as "connect the yellow wire to ground for curve #1, or connect it to 12v for curve #2" ?
No, itīs quite simple.

If you donīt want to use Curve #2 (=you stay in Curve#1), yellow lead is cut off the 12V connection ; if you want to change to C2, you connect it to 12V.

If you install a switch to change between the curves,
Quote:
One installs it to a switch in the interior. Okay...and the other end of the switch goes??
it should be clear that you just INTERRUPT the yellow connection from 12V with the switch. Nothing else; yellow lead is connected to 12V - fit in between a switch to be able to interrupt it - if you like it connect it to a control light showing you if C2 is activated (glows when 12V is connected).

Red: Switched positive 12V
Black: Coil #1 / negative coil connection / earlier lead to breaker
Blue: Negative earth
Yellow: Switched positive 12V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

festy, hunttheshunt, thank you. While neither of you are from the US, I'm sure my client will be using 91 octane, the highest readily available in the US. The lowest I believe is 95 octane. My guess if it was ever necessary for him to use the 95 and kept the revs down, it would be fine until he could get 91. Meaning, do you think it necessary to install a switch in this case?

If the blue wire should be grounded - per left diagram - why does the right side diagram show it not to be used?

An aside: It was either '74 or '75 after the Long Beach, CA Grand prix was over that I watched the mechanics, with James in attendance, auction off his still wet driving suit, gloves, and (especially) Nomax underwear to a group of mostly admiring women.

Biba

AlfaCyberSite.com
BibaRestorations.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode