O2 Bung Installation - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

O2 Bung Installation

I had a shop install a bung on a section of the exhaust that I brought to him. Are there any concerns about the protrusion into the exhaust stream? I am wondering if he should have not put it in so deep.
Attached Images

Stefano
Concord, CA
iachella [at] gmail [dot] com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 09:50 PM

I've never looked at how far o2 sensors extend into the exhaust stream, but I wouldn't think they would have to be shielded from the flow. I've seen a lot of articles about retrofitting these to older cars, but have never seen any reference to minimizing how far the sensor extends into the pipe.

Regards,
Lawrence

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 11:02 AM

look at it with the OČ installed as long as the tip does not hit the other side.

as for flow it is common to put them where a merge or a split happen.
so one common spot is in the v part of a merge. the other common place is on the input side of the cat were the flow fans out to the larger diameter of the cat.

The Alfa oem fitment (v6) is kinda late in the merge and I think was placed there due to space limitations.

The maganaflow downpipes put it in before the merge where there is a tiny crossover and it is in the crossover. kinda a large bung sealed all around with 2 holes on each side. Each hole welded to the side of one pipe. so it looks like the bung was just squeezed in-between the two pipes.

1987 black Milano Verde, 1987 (made in 1986)blue $200 gold with ABS and LSD
1972 White spider 2000 Veloce

Last edited by slyalfa; 10-19-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 06:20 PM
Duk

Garage
I wouldn't worry about it.
That bit of protruding metal and the EGO sensor's tip aren't going to limit your power output, there will be plenty of other aspects of the engine/exhaust that will do that 1st.

Slowly Progressing Vortech Supercharged 1990 Alfa Romeo 75 Potenziata. Out of Action Twin-Charged 1988 AW11 MR2. Current Daily Driver, The Glorified Taxi 2006 BF FPV F6 Typhoon.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 08:47 AM

You can always do some profile trimming with a die grinder if you have such good access to where you put it, as we can see in the pic. Just a thought.
One way or another, the sensor itself is a bigger air blockage that the bung end. I suppose it depends whether you intend to keep the sensor in permanently or just for temporary tuning.
/Neil

74 GTV
Alcala de Henares, Spain
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies everyone. This is just what I needed to feel comfortable. I will button up my exhaust pipes and get on with my project.

Cheers

Stefano
Concord, CA
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 11:35 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to ToonRboy Send a message via Skype™ to ToonRboy
I thought they just drilled a hole the size of the thread and tack-welded the bung to the outside of the pipe? Since the pipe is round and the nut flat, you then run a bead around the circumference. The sensor itself will extend past the nut into the exhaust stream.

I have the Euro downpipes and am debating whether to have the bung welded on, or to use a bung clamp.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 01:25 PM

It doesn't need to be fusion welded, silver solder works fine for this.
/Neil

74 GTV
Alcala de Henares, Spain
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 01:11 AM

look at various constructions of sensors i.e. a cutaway

Depending on the construction of the outer shell of the sensor it has small holes in it to let exhaust gas into to it as long as none of the holes are blocked from gas flow and it doesn't touch the other side of exhaust pipe it should be okay. Also from the exterior wire side air is allowed to go inside the sensor's interior down along the wires.
Note there are different designs, older and newer and some work differently than others look it up in comprehensive automotive technicians book descriptions. Older ones were 2/3 wires newer ones with built in heaters have 4 wires. no hard and fast rule ....evolution.But they were specific to each model car by the manufacturer.

Alfaross69
'61 Guilietta Sprint
'69 1750 GTV
'74 2000 GTV

"No detail too small not to obsess over"
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Note there are different designs, older and newer and some work differently than others look it up in comprehensive automotive technicians book descriptions. Older ones were 2/3 wires newer ones with built in heaters have 4 wires. no hard and fast rule ....evolution.But they were specific to each model car by the manufacturer.
In this case it is a wide band. Something like 6 wires.

Stefano
Concord, CA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode