Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Ignition timing.

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Biba69 
#1 ·
This definitely falls under 'having a duh moment' catagory. For the past several months my Alfetta GT (dual Webers, Euro inlet, air box and cleaner, 10-1 pistons) has idled better than it ever has, but thought I'd check the timing. I'll add here that I have a MarelliPlex with a Jim Steck modified advance mechanism. With idle at about 1K (engine was cold so used hand throttle) and timing light set at 0, it was running about 12 degrees After TDC.

My thought was that I didn't want to screw up that nice idle, but it obviously needed to be advanced a fair amount. I'm now going to mix apples with oranges - in that my final 'run' with the engine at around 3.5K, and the timing light set at 35 degrees, the light lined up with TDC.

I haven't taken it out for a run yet, but it seemed to idle nicely with a now warm (not hot) engine.

More advance? I'm doing it all wrong? Yes, I visually checked the advance mechanism and it looked fine.

Biba

#3 ·
Joe, I'm sure you're aware that the MarelliPlex has a very short degree of advance - 12 degrees. The Shankle mod brings/brought it up to 17 degrees. So you won't be surprised when I double checked today that at 850 idle, the pointer was roughly 17 degrees from the 36 degree mark. The Alfetta didn't like it, didn't ping but would do brief cutting out when revving, getting worse once fully warmed up.

Bottom line after several retarding of the dist.and testings I ended up with the pointer at the 6 degree advance mark at 850 rpm. However, when I set the timing light on 25 (degrees) and revved it to roughy 3.5K (or more) it ended up on the same spot - 6 degrees (BTDC).

I'll add that I added a second washer to the spark plugs. I was (still might be) getting blow by through the spark plug hole and had the plugs tightened as much as I was comfortable with. I can't beleive that would have any effect to the car's running.

I'm still not completely happy with the results, but for now will drive it and make incremental adjustments if I feel they're needed.

Biba

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.