Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/)
-   Engine Management (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/engine-management/)
-   -   L-Jetronic inlet manifold 'female' injector seal?? (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/engine-management/173305-l-jetronic-inlet-manifold-female-injector-seal.html)

Biba69 11-19-2010 05:35 PM

L-Jetronic inlet manifold 'female' injector seal??

2 Attachment(s)
No one will say boo about these seals and I need to know if it is a must to replace them or if it is simply 'standard' to reuse them.

I'm referring to the seal in the injectors opening - see below.

I just had the injectors, hoses, etc. 'rebuilt' and they came back without these seals - though I'd asked to have them included. It's like no one knows anything about them. I left them in when the manifold was bead blasted - though that shouldn't really damage them, still...

Comments? Please?

Biba

Last thing I want to do is have to remove eveything to replace them should they leak.

mghamms 11-19-2010 06:33 PM

Advanced auto has the seals SKU# 1826258 FFG# 158-0021 Beck/Arnley about $5.00 for 4 seals and the rubber ring to hold the injectors in.

ghnl 11-19-2010 07:11 PM

IIRC (it's been a while since I R/R'd the injectors...) there is both a rubber seal & a (not rubber - metal?) seat. I replace the rubber seals and clean the seat item. In the photo above, it looks like the rubber seal is on place on the injector. They start out as square cut. After they've been in place for a while they take a set to conform to the seat shape.

kredden 11-20-2010 04:54 AM

It looks to me like the injectors in your picture have the bottom seals on them or am I missing something? Are those the old ones? If you've redone everything else then there is no reason not to change those too, they do get brittle and hard. I've bought them for my V6's from RockAuto in the past.

Kevin

Biba69 11-20-2010 10:43 AM

Thanks for the heads up regarding what I'll call the male O-ring and yes those are new seals on the injectors, but I was referring to the (female) seals in the inlet manifold (second photo). It is now my understanding that they are plastic and totally unobtainable. Fortunately they look to be in pretty good shape - even after bead blasting. Should this thought strike any of you, yes I've thoroughly washed out all of the items I had bead blasted with dish soap and hot water.

Biba

Greg Gordon 11-20-2010 12:57 PM

I will make this right, since I overhauled those injectors. Just to clarify, the lower seals are on those injectors. The other part we are talking about is the receptacle the seal fits into. On my car, they are a hard plastic and not something that normally needs to be replaced. It's the rubber seal that wears out and causes leaks, and that's what I originally thought Biba was asking for, my mistake. If the plastic receptacles/female seals, or whatever they are called are bad it should be possible to use two lower seals together at the tip of the injector to get an air tight seal. I will send another set to Biba right away.

Greg

Biba69 11-20-2010 06:14 PM

Greg, I don't think it will be necessary. Just to double check, I got out my big magnifying glass and with a trouble light checked each of them. They all look fine. They're now dull but I don't see any indication of wear. I'd posted the original question before I had received Misty's email explaining they were plastic and not available. I'll add that some time ago when I ordered items from Jon (AlfaParts) I asked him to include the 'female' seals. He didn't say a word, and of course they didn't arrive.

This is my first time working on a (non Spica) fuel injected engine - even though it is just to jazz it up a bit.

I'm curious in that you listed the injectors as fair - though they're now equal across all four. Do you save Good for exceptional ones? Or is it something like having even cylinder compression across all four, but the reading is a bit on the low side?

The Quad owner is a pretty particular guy, so I'm just trying to cover all bases.

Biba

Greg Gordon 11-21-2010 08:44 PM

Hi Biba,

The term "fair only applies to the spray pattern, not the injector overall. I don't have your sheet in front of me, but the spray pattern was probably fair before overhaul, and good after. I can check tomorrow when I am at the shop.

Greg