Alfa Spider 1987 Oil Type - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Alfa Spider 1987 Oil Type

I am currently using Mobil 1 Synth 5W30 and has been running fine

I was going to change oil and filtert prior to storage and someone locally recommended i use the 15W50 Mobil 1 Synthetic

Can any one provide some recomendations on which type would be better suited for this Alfa 87 spider?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 05:49 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
One of the big controversies about oils to use in our cars is the level of zinc additives. Zinc is required for the type of camshaft/buckets they have (vs more modern cars that are designed for lower zinc levels with roller lifters).

The easiest thing to do is avoid any oil labeled 'energy conserving'. These tend to be the lower weight oils. I'm not sure about Mobil's 15w-50 but it is likely their 5w-30 has the lower zinc levels.

FWIW, I have been using Shell Rotella 15w-40 (non-synthetic). Shell also sells a 5w-40 synthetic. These are oils formulated for diesel engines. My understanding is these oils do have adequate levels of zinc (for now).

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 08:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghnl View Post
FWIW, I have been using Shell Rotella 15w-40 (non-synthetic)....... My understanding is these oils do have adequate levels of zinc (for now).
that's what I'm using also

Peter

Currently: '65 Giulia TI

Previously:
'76 Alfasud Ti/'75 GT Junior/'87 Alfa 33
'91 Alfa 75/'95 Alfa 164/'79 Alfa Spider '69 Euro 1750 GTV, '67 Duetto, '84 Spider Veloce
'91 164L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 08:52 AM

What kind of oil and oil filter (Fram or otherwise) should I use in my 1969 GT Junior 1300. Adrianvan
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 09:06 AM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

It's prolly in your best interest to avoid the Fram oil filters.
A thread search will give you more info regarding that.

Purolator would be a good choice IMO, but there's threads all over with other options too.
Likely they'll come up when you search for the info on Fram.

Better results will likely be had in the forum subsection specific to your car, or the engine rebuilding subsection rather than this subsection as things are geared more toward control systems like SPICA, carbs, aftermarket EFI, etc. rather than general service related stuff.

Darren
'84 manufacture ~ '85 MY Spider Graduate

as hosted by

&

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode