switching between ECU programmes - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 03:01 AM

So how bad is it getting hold of good fuel over the pond? In the UK we can get 97RON or even 100RON at pretty much all filling stations. It's working out great at the moment, as our fuel is mostly TAX and as that goes up the cost difference between say 93 and 100 is getting really small.

Also, in reference to the original post, are you aware that the twinspark motronic already has map switching for different fuel grades, its a 'relay' plug (looks like a relay, but its actually just a jumper cable in a box) under the dash. Check craig's site for info on how to set the fuel quality; in essence, you could run it set for 91RON on the road for economy, then use a jumper to set it to 97RON+, stick in some premium and head for the track, although the settings will not be as aggressive as say a chip change

Tim Bartle - Junior Alfista
1991 75 2.0 Twinspark with added lightness

Last edited by fatdarryl; 11-29-2010 at 03:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 06:52 AM

California is the worst (where I am). Maximum is 91. Other states can get 92 or maybe 93. I know of one filling station 1/2 hour drive from me that has racing gas and a cart racing shop much closer that will sell racing gas in drums. I've thought of mixing 1 - 3 gallons with each a fill-up to get something around 95-96.

I am familiar with the fuel plug. I have the red plug on my engine as it came from Italy and is a non-catalytic converter engine. I should try the lower octane settings, but since my engine doesn't ping, I never bothered to experiment. I didn't think it really changed performance as much as kept the engine from detonating.

Stefano
Concord, CA
iachella [at] gmail [dot] com
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 11:23 AM

remember 91 RON is about the same as 87 US (M+R)/2
but nothing like 100 RON about 96 US sold here.

1987 black Milano Verde, 1987 (made in 1986)blue $200 gold with ABS and LSD
1972 White spider 2000 Veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 12:19 PM

Yeah the fuel plug is I believe only concerned with ignition advance, acting as a 'limiter' for lower octanes, the reason being no ping sensor for automatic retarding, due to the chain drive cam being too noisy for one to work.
It SHOULD be pretty good for getting a bit more out of better fuel but of course as with most stock ECU applications, it's going to take a few miles to settle everything in and get a good operation after changing any settings.

I'm feeling priveledged with the fuel for sure!

Tim Bartle - Junior Alfista
1991 75 2.0 Twinspark with added lightness
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 06:18 AM

I use an Emerald K3 on my supercharged 12V V6 motor. The map switching is pretty handy I find. One map is mostly left alone and used as a safe map for if the water/meth runs out - there is a float switch in the reservoir that forces the ECU into map 1. The other 2 I use for fiddling about with the drivabilty, as already noted. When I have made some useful tweaks, I copy the map into site 1, then do the safety adjustments of more fuel and less timing on boost.

ECU controls water/meth injection using a 'free' 3D map table.

WOT power is easy as has already been said, it's the light load/drivability stuff that takes forever. I take my hat off to you turbolarespider!!

All my tinkering is built upon a proper rolling road mapping session done by the ECU manufacturer - I make sure to keep a master copy so I can restore sanity when I screw it up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode