10548 Camshafts in a 1600 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

10548 Camshafts in a 1600

I've installed 10548's in both a Spica and Weber 1750 Alfa. Happy with the results. I am now considering doing the same for a 1600 in a Giulia Sprint. Anyone have any comments on this change in a 1600?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 07:46 AM

I have 10548s in my Jr Z with a 1600. I'm not sure how much value my feedback will be, because when I got the car they were in it, but when I got it had poor compression because of broken rings. The fellow I got the car from didn't start/run it that much, I think the rings broke when starting up after sitting & rings rusting/sticking to the cylinder walls. Anyway, I now have the engine rebuilt w/the 10548s, Venolia 9.7 to 1 hi comp. pistons, ported head, balanced, blueprinted.

The engine pulls well from 4,000 to 7,000, but is pretty light on torque @ lower rpms. If I had it to do over, I think I'd run a more modern cam design with higher lift & moderate duration. The 10548s are medium lift & duration & it's my personal feeling they hurt the low end torque of the 1600 without giving you much more on the top end.

I think I'd talk to your favorite experienced tuner/head guru & go with what they advise. Wes Ingram, Jon Norman, George Willet, Steck, & there are others I'm sure I missed, could all give you a good head/cam package that would work for what you want to do with the 1600. 10548s don't seem to be pushed by any of the modern engine builders these days, I think there are newer cam grinds that work better than this older design.

Jim K. watches this BB, maybe he'll respond with his ideas, that would be getting the best advice straight from the source!

Bruce

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode