Programmable Engine Management using stock Bosch wiring - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 05:38 PM

Bread board

Using a 0.1" breadboard available from most electronics stores will work. The 35pin Motronics connector is very close to that width and fits well with a little jiggling. You can then solder the pins to the board.

Then with some connectors such as seen in the attached pic, you can get a reasonably neat setup. Cost is not too bad.

Simon
Attached Images

91 Spider, Dover MA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Simon: Yes, I will probably end up doing it that way. I have someone looking into new connectors, but I think it will end up costing for an order of 200 items or so.

I already picked up two different kinds of Motronic ECUs from BMWs last week. I also have an interesting tid-bit. I was browsing the engine bays as the junk yard and found this connector in a Volvo, I think. It was near the firewall. It is the same 3 pin connector of the TPS body. I can use this connector to connect to the wiring harness and use the TPS that is being installed on my throttle bodies, as Jim told me he's not using a Bosch TPS.

I doubt I can ever find a 5 pin one like it, for a clean AFM connector. But I have found an AFM with 5 positions and 4 tabs that I snapped off at the junk yard a year ago. I'm going to solder wires to the back of that and have a similar connector. I think the 5th wire on the TS is the CO adjust, but I need to check if it's the 1st position or the 5th position that is missing from the BMW AFM body. I'll post a picture later.
Attached Images

Stefano
Concord, CA
iachella [at] gmail [dot] com
post #48 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Here is the connector I took off a BMW AFM. Only 4 pins, but it's 5 pins wide. It will fit on the AFM wiring harness connector and keep me from cutting up the harness. There is no other item in the harness that needs to be addressed.
Attached Images

Stefano
Concord, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 12:18 PM

Connector

Hi Stefano

That's good hunting. Well done.
I took the cowards way out because its been really cold up here in the Northeast. I cut the wires to the TPS and spliced in a weatherpak connector. If I ever need to go back and can just plug the old TPS back in.

Did the same sort of thing so that I could use the old AFM wiring to pick up the intake air temp from a new Bosch IAT sensor placed in the air filter box.

Strong work man.
Simon

91 Spider, Dover MA
post #50 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Has anyone built the pigtails for the following connector? It's the GM style connector on the TPS that Jim made for my TS/Spica Manifolds. I got this connector and wires from the DIY Megasquirt website and the wires are all individual. I just can't get them inside the connector. How do I do it? It is probably a silly question, but I've never done it and I just can't figure it out. Do I just force them in with some needle nose pliers? Do they go in a certain orientation? I'm not having any luck getting them in and the base of the wires are bending as I try and push.

Thanks,
Attached Images

Stefano
Concord, CA
post #51 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 02:24 PM

I've not used those specific connectors before but the tabs you push into them look very similar to those used on the Bosch connectors. You need to crimp down the tabs pointed to by #1. Tab #2 is what keeps the wire inside the connector, there should be only one way it slides in and you should here a click when it gets all the way in.

To get the wire out you have to push that tab down with one of those tiny eyeglass screwdrivers after which you should be able to slide it out, to put it back in just bend that tab back up a bit and slide it back in.

Kevin
Attached Images

Currently Alfaless. Ex: 87 Verde, 86 GTV6, 67 Super, 86 Spider, 88 LeMons Verde
Milano registry custodian(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #52 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzo rosso View Post
Using a 0.1" breadboard available from most electronics stores will work. The 35pin Motronics connector is very close to that width and fits well with a little jiggling. You can then solder the pins to the board.

Then with some connectors such as seen in the attached pic, you can get a reasonably neat setup. Cost is not too bad.

Simon
Mate that kind of connectors are not really suitable for automotive use.
post #53 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 01:28 PM

This is an ECU box from 1st generation Fiat Punto. It's perfect because it has the same 35-pin connector as Alfa 75 Twin Spark and it also has 2 detachable coolers for those ignition transistors that get really hot. That way we don't ruin Alfa used ECU's, and it only costs 30 euros. When I have the time to finish my Alfa 75 TS I will post more information.

post #54 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

AFM Connector Update

Here is how my AFM connector has ended up looking. As previously mentioned with picture, I broke apart a BMW AFM to use the socket as a connector interface. I was only able to find a 4 pin one, but it was 5 pin wide, so it will plug into my AFM. The one pin that is missing is the CO adjust. I have wired this for a MAP signal and and IAT signal. I will take the AFM signal wire off the ECU pigtal for MAP and the IAT signal wire to the IAT. Keeping things logical.
Attached Images

Stefano
Concord, CA
post #55 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

I now turn my attention again towards the ECU connector. I have not been able to find a source for new ones, so I went to the junkyard and got a couple more dead ECUs and while I was at it, I chopped off the pigtails that go with them.

My next idea was to take two connectors and put them back to back. I wasn't sure how to connect them. I though a small narrow breakout board and solder the pins. This would allow a very small breakout box. I could use a junk pigtail on the other side and crimp those wires to the new ECU pigtail. I also thought about just soldering the pins back to back with no board at all.

Here are some pictures of the connectors back to back. I would have to make sure the pin number were reversed about the middle. For example pin 1 becomes pin 18 and pin 35 becomes pin 19. While bending the pins upward and taking these pictures I came up with an even better solution. Next post will have some pictures of that solution.
Attached Images

Stefano
Concord, CA
post #56 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

And get a load of this.

I snipped off the long leads to equal the length of the short ones. My thinking is that the back of the pins could slide into one of the pigtails. Well, it does. And rather snugly too. They may be slightly narrower than the tab inside the protected portion that fits into the car pigtail, but the spacing and the fixed nature of them hold them steady and the fit is perfect and tight.

Second picture is of the snipped back pins inserted into one pigtail. So I've turned a female pigtail into a male pigtail. Essentially I've turned one connector into a gender changer for the engine pigtail. The last picture is both pigtails plugged in. So imagine the engine pigtail plugging into this, and the spare pigtail plugging in and the end of the cut wires will be crimped onto the brand new aftermarket ECU plug. So if you source one old connector from the junkyard and a pigtail you are simply making a patch cable and gender changer. This eliminates an extra box to make your breakout box.

If I can ease the pins out of the spare pigtail, I could even change their position to color match the engine pigtail. If new pins are available, I could use new wires. I had bought a 12 inch set of labeled wires from the Megasquirt site that I would like to use, so I'm going to see if these pins are available new.
Attached Images

Stefano
Concord, CA
post #57 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 07:37 AM

That's pretty cool, keep us up to date with your progress.

Kevin

Currently Alfaless. Ex: 87 Verde, 86 GTV6, 67 Super, 86 Spider, 88 LeMons Verde
Milano registry custodian(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #58 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Here are pictures of the pigtail side with the cover removed. Does anyone know if these pins are available new?

This is actually a 3rd pigtail I clipped from a 25pin vehicle. I saw some pins were missing in the two 35pin pigtails I got and they were not consistent. So various cars have different pinouts and eliminate certain wires, not consistent between cars, ie BMW 5 series, 7 series, Volovs, etc. I wanted extra pins so I clipped a 25piner. I've been practicing extracting the pins on this one and I'm making mincemeat out of it. If anyone has info on the proper method or tool, I'd really appreciate that.
Attached Images

Stefano
Concord, CA
post #59 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

After a long hiatus, I am back to building my patch cable. I found the bosch style pins. I have a wiring cross-connecting diagram 95% done. I will make a patch cable about a foot long with a Bosch pigtail on one end an the Emerald K3 connector on the other end. A few posts back I showed that a connector from an old Bosch ECU can act as a double male connector for the two Bosch pigtails to connect together. The pin numbers will be reversed on the patch cable Bosch connector.

Here are the pins and my work desk diagrams. I think I'm ready...
Attached Images

Stefano
Concord, CA
post #60 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Some progress on the Patch Cable.
Attached Images

Stefano
Concord, CA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode