Programmable Engine Management using stock Bosch wiring - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

I might just have Jim Steck make me the one on his website. I have a PM in to him right now about price and such. If is too much for me I may start to tinker with the pieces myself. Kelly had one done but he can't remember what Jim charged him.

If I do start to tinker, I'll start a post on it. I've already started gathering opinions on some apects of it, if you've seen some of the posts.

Stefano
Concord, CA
iachella [at] gmail [dot] com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iachella View Post
I might just have Jim Steck make me the one on his website. I have a PM in to him right now about price and such. If is too much for me I may start to tinker with the pieces myself. Kelly had one done but he can't remember what Jim charged him.

If I do start to tinker, I'll start a post on it. I've already started gathering opinions on some apects of it, if you've seen some of the posts.
I just got mine yesterday- I can see that he has to put quite a bit of work into it. (and I'm keeping the SPICA- for me it's for data acqusition and unique tuning of a SPCIA system for racing)

E-
post #18 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Can I PM you about it?

Stefano
Concord, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 03:16 PM

Gutted Motronic box

Hi

If anyone is planning to use the stock wiring as described earlier in the post, I have a gutted Motronic box with wiring soldered to each pin of the connector. The only catch is that I didn't check the size of the box. So its not the same size as the Motronic boxes used in the 91-94 Spiders which I have. It has a 35 pin Bosch connector but its also not the same as the It may fit other earlier Spider years as it was a BMW box but I'm not sure.
If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll take some pics. I'll want $30 for it just to pay for the original cost of the box and shipping etc.

Best
Simon
PS. My apologies for hijacking the thread. But perhaps my comments about my similar efforts will make up for it.

I am in the process of swapping the out the Motronic box and AFM on my Spider for a speed-density based ECU from Emerald. Andy at Performatek is a dealer for Emerald in the US. The rationale for this is that 18 months ago I had the valves and ports enlarged roughly similar to Jim K's book. There was some improvement in head flow but no important improvement in torque or hp on a well-calibrated dyno. Less than 100 hp at the wheels. Very disappointing overall. So I got thinking that maybe a supercharger would be just the ticket ! I know - call me an idiot.

So rather than leap into the SC straight away I decided I'd swap the ECU as a first step, then do the SC once I am sure the ECU is working well and the electrics are fine. The wiring is fairly straightforward. I'll use the Emerald TPS, but splice it into the old TPS wiring. The fan controller needs an extra wire and I'll be using an Accell coil pack so that will need additional wiring. The MAP sensor will also need some wiring. Overall its pretty simple because the 91-94 Spiders use a crankshaft position sensor.

All the electrical parts will be here next week. I'll post a few comments here unless someone would like me to start a new thread.

91 Spider, Dover MA
post #20 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

No problem with the hijack. I welcome more information. Are you using the stock wiring? I'm unclear what you are doing with the wiring. If you would like to start a new thread dedicated to your project, please do. I don't know if anyone has documented the Emerald system; it might be worthwhile to start it for future searches on the topic. I've never heard of it. I will definitely do some searching and learning. Thanks.

Stefano
Concord, CA
post #21 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 05:48 PM

Stock wiring

Hi Stefano

I'll be using the stock wiring as much as possible. The wiring I mentioned above is the only additional stuff.
Best

Simon

91 Spider, Dover MA
post #22 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 03:41 PM

Has anyone considered or even used this on a stock harness.
I've been thinking about it for conversion on a friends stock 3.0.
The only problem is microsquirt doesn't have a flyback circuit so it may not handle the low impedance injectors alfa use.

Bye for now.....
Brett.
post #23 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 04:10 PM

You need the flyback so the MegaSquirt instead of the MicroSquirt, you also have a bit of work to get it connected to the stock Bosch connector.

Kevin

Currently Alfaless. Ex: 87 Verde, 86 GTV6, 67 Super, 86 Spider, 88 LeMons Verde
Milano registry custodian(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #24 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 05:37 PM

From what I've read so far MicroS will handle down to 2.4 ohms per channel. Lower than that and the output drivers will shut down.
I'm thinking of adding a 5ohm 25w resistor to each channel.
The Bosch style plug could be a problem but DIY AT say that they are making more types available in the future.

Bye for now.....
Brett.
post #25 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 08:25 AM

In regards to the original topic, it seems to me that replacing the wiring harness is one of the big advantage of upgrading the fuel injection system. More and more I am finding problems with older cars that are in the wiring harness. Replacing the fuel injection's wiring harness is pretty easy. In a Spider, unplug all the connectors and fish the harness out through the passenger compartment. Thread the new harness back in. Then you have all new wires, and connectors. I haven't seen an original Bosch wiring harness on an older Alfa or BMW without various broken connectors in years.

Greg

Last edited by Greg Gordon; 11-21-2009 at 09:44 AM.
post #26 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Replacing the fuel injection's wiring harness is pretty easy.
I'm beginning to get my mind around this and am not so daunted by it anymore. That was my original topic and as we delve into it, I'm beginning to see those adavantages. Also, once I'd resolved to make my twin spark look like a stock Spica engine bay, with Jim's Spica throttles grafted to the TS intake, I'm now committed to replacing the wiring harness.

Thanks,

Stefano
Concord, CA
post #27 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 05:17 PM

Perhaps I should not have said it's pretty easy. I guess it depends on what your are used to doing. It's certainly easier than a timing belt change on an Alfa V6, but more difficult than an oil change. Of course that's assuming you are buying a pre-made wiring harness.

Greg
post #28 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 07:55 PM

If I had a car running Motronic like the TS, 24v V6, or other I would consider keeping the Bosch Motronic, harness, everything - hard to beat all the testing and development done by Bosch's engineers, not to mention getting it to pass smog. I know we all believe we are smart, but who are you kidding? To get control of fueling etc. to accommodate engine upgrades I would instead try Unichip which AFAIK is inserted into the loop and kind of end up doing delta from what Motronic is doing. That means that what you do is essentially building upon all the tuning and research from Bosch - not a bad starting point and foundation Nothing like factory reliability!
Jes

87 Milano Verde - daily driver -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- SOLD
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car -
- SOLD
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car - Running again after 3 year hibernation...
(Repeating what I suggest or do, is at your own risk - be critical)

Last edited by AR4me; 11-21-2009 at 08:01 PM.
post #29 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 05:30 AM
rao

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me if this will work. I have a 147 1.6TS. I am fitting a 3.0 24 motor and gearbox to the car. I want use the car's body computer and a 2.5 156 ecu and wiring harness.

Thanks in advance
post #30 of 64 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 05:30 AM
rao

Coversion question

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me if this will work. I have a 147 1.6TS. I am fitting a 3.0 24 motor and gearbox to the car. I want use the car's body computer and a 2.5 156 ecu and wiring harness.

Thanks in advance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode