So Mad! even if I am a female novice with a 88 Spider - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 09:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by conedriver View Post
You didn't say what year your Spider was.
...except for the thread title stating it's an '88 Spider.

-Ruedi
[SIZE="1"]'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, the car in my avatar, sold as resto project to Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).[/SIZE]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 04:31 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Ooops....I was so interested in writing a reply, I didn't read the thread title (I also have trouble reading instructions).

Alfoni, good for you to be concerned about the noise, and for not being afraid to do some wrenching on your Alfa. Be sure to use the resources of the BB, and you will probably get your issue resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubut View Post
...except for the thread title stating it's an '88 Spider.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 06:32 AM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Ticking

Re-read my first post...
Worn cams WILL cause the "tick" even on correct lash settings.! Particularly identifyable as you have seemingly only one problem lobe & follower.
This is bounce of the cam follower as a result of the worn seating and lift area of the lobes.

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 07:49 AM

Hi Afanoni,

Not sure if this is any help, but I recently replaced the mechanical fuel pump on my giulia super and the new pump makes quite a noticeable ticking sound. Of course this may not apply to your car if you have an electric fuel pump (not sure what spec your car is). My thought is if you have had it checked and everyone thinks it is ok then just drive it and learn to live with it or turn up the music loud.

Ciao for now,

Bill M.
Director SNO Perth, Western Australia.

'66 giulia super
2007 147JTDM

Last edited by billm105; 12-30-2009 at 07:50 AM. Reason: typo
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 12:35 PM

You may have solved this problem already, but my '89 Spider has a tick like what you describe, I have done all the same things as you with checking and rechecking valve clearance, replacing exhaust gaskets and all. What I discovered is that one of my tappets over the valve shim does not fit the hole it goes into, I bought a new tappet and put it on and it only makes it worse. From what I understand is if the engine gets too hot, it can distort the tappet hole in the head and cause the tappet to stick a little and you get the ticking noise. On mine, when the engine is cold and I first start it up, the engine is quiet, but as it warms up the ticking gets intermittent until the engine is fully warm, then the ticking is very regular.

I figured this out by pulling the tappets out to check the shim sizes, seven of the tappets came right out with my little magnet, but the tappet on the exhaust valve on #3 would not come out with just the magnet. Like I said, I replaced the tappet and it got worse, so I am guessing short of pulling the head off and taking it apart and having that hole machined, there is really nothing to do but let it make noise, so far it has been several thousand miles and the sounds has not gotten any worse.

'86 GTV6 - No Name
'88 Verde w/no sunroof - Bella
'89 Spider Quad - Red
'86 Spider Quad - Silver - SOLD
'89 RC30
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 05:15 PM

so did the lady fix her chariot?
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 10:45 AM

Did she ever figure out what was causing the noise that was driving her crazy?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode