Compression Testing Advice - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Compression Testing Advice

Are there any tricks to preforming a compression test and/or anything I should avoid?

RBK - '87 Spider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 09:19 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Remove all sparkplugs, install tester and hold throttle open to get air supply to cylinders as you crank engine over as few times to get highest reading.

Good engine will have all readings within 10% of each other.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 04-04-2005 at 10:24 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 10:10 PM

Also a good idea to warm up the engine first. Look for at least 150 psig for a some what healthy engine, around 175 is good.

77 Alfetta Sedan-sale pending
87 Milano Verde-sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

So being new to the world of auto mechanics – I’ve ventured into trying to run what should be a pretty simply diagnostic compression test.

I warmed the car up, started with a dry test. I removed the distributor wires from the spark plugs and from the distributor to the starter.

I started with cylinder #4 (maybe I should have started with #1? – but I didn’t), screwed the compression tester in and turned the key (in writting this post, and re-reading Steve's advice I see I didn't hold the throttle open). I got a very low reading of ± 63. Scratched my head and tried the next one.

Then removed the spark plug from cylinder #3, screwed in the compression tester and got a reading of ± 76.

Then removed the spark plug from cylinder #2, screwed in the compression tester and got a reading of zero. I tried it again, zero. I checked to be sure the device was properly screwed in, and the quick connect was seated. All ok, tried it a third time – again zero.

Decided to try cylinder #1, got a reading of zero. This time called my wife to turn the key, so I could watch the gauge and the gauge was going up put then moving back down to zero.

Do I have a problem with the gauge (which I borrowed from a co-worker) or is it just me?

Thanks for any advice and/or input.

RBK

RBK - '87 Spider
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 06:21 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Gauge hose end should have a floating needle like valve core in it to trap pressure or else it will go to 0 as you saw. It also should have a bled button on it to release trapped pressure. One of those two must be sticking open or bad.

Also to run a good test remove all plugs first and hold throttle open. Also disable ignition spark if you can.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Test Results

I've purchased my own compression tester and re-ran the test last night, using the advice from multiple threads. I beleive the results are pretty good (if it matters I do have webers), but would welcome any feedback:

Cylinder dry/wet
1 - 155/172
2 - 162/180
3 - 168/180
4 - 170/180

Thanks,
RBK

RBK - '87 Spider
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 07:32 AM

RBK: I guess the numbers look pretty good for the 4 cylinders (What is the compression ratio for these engine?). The V6 (which I'm more familiar with) should get higher numbers because of higher compression ratio.

One more thing (for others who are new to this), I suggest disabling the fuel supply before doing the compression test especially for fuel injected cars. I usually just pull the fuel pump relay.

To disable ignition, one can also pull the center distributor wire or pull the Motronic relay.

Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode