Air Flow Meter problems - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Air Flow Meter problems

Folks,

I have a problem wich I explained in the following post http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=10464

Can you help?

thanks
Sam

I'd rather push my Alfa than drive anything else.
"Come to think of it, I often do !"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 12:38 AM

well, as usual greg has answered your question.

however mate, once you've patched things up, really think about ditching teh AFM altogether.

the MegaSquirt solution is a great one. Highly recommended. Cheaper than a brand new AFM and far superior!

http://www.megasquirt.info a superb MS forum has been devoted at
http://www.alfagtv6.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=16

cheers,

joe
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Hi Joey,
From what I'm hearing , the MS it sounds like you are right.
I still havn't got the AFM and I'm now comptemplating going straight to the MS.

Do you have a MS?
do you know where I can get one in Melbourne?
what I should expect to pay for it?

thanks in advance
Sam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 08:15 PM

yep i have built one and i'm more than happy to help... in fact go to the alfagtv6.com site, that MS forum is great. Peter is fantastic there, we'll all help ! quite a few have it running.

i had to ship mine in from www.glensgarage.com, as it says tho he has a long back-log. i waited a month or more for mine, but his packaging was great and i was in no rush. otherwise u will have to buy from the megasquirt site and digikey for the components. You'll need the flyback board for the low-z injectors. the stim is useful too.

overall for the kit expect to pay $200USD

build it up and u can see the fuel pump mod to make for the alfa at alfagtv6.com and you can then start on the joy of mapping it to work !
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Hi Joey

Thanks for your info on the MS.

I guess I must be a dumb ***, or maybe I'm just hit with Information overload, but after visiting www.glensgarage.com and http://www.megasquirt.info and the http://www.alfagtv6.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=16 sites, I'm now totally confused.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the AFM used to tell the ECU how much fuel to inject into the engine. So if I remove the AFM, what does the MS use to replace this function?

I noticed on the http://alfagtv6.com/bb/ that 'treffynnon' has one for sale in Melbourne. He's local so I may look at buying it from him If I can just understand how it works.....

Sam

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 07:57 PM

yep, i saw your post there ! its seems a good price for one thats already built and tested. i remember simon was quite happy with it at the time.

yep, the whole benefit in the MS is that it eliminates the AFM. What does it use? like all good modern system it uses a MAP sensor. Manifold Abolsute Pressure. It measures in the ECU with a pressure sensor how much air is in the plenum. You simply intercept the hose already there or install a bung in a custom intake system to provide a vaccum hose straight to the MS unit. Completely unobtrusive. The l-jet AFM was built for a car released in 1981, they didn't have that technology available for the manufacturing conditions of that time. The AFM is simply a mechanical means of measuring the air simply by tying a variable resistor to the movement of the flap, hardly ideal.

whats worse is, at one point or another the AFM measurements cut out at high rpm and the fuel curve is left to the hard wired program in the l-jet ecu. That means all sorts of problems for cars that draw more air than stock at high rpm. (it's run lean) A fully programmable system like the MS or similar allows the exact (or close to depending on programming) fuel requirements of your engine to be met at any rpm regime you have mapped it for.

so, i highly recommend it given your AFM woes, i'm sure you'll never look back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode