Alfa Romeo Forums banner

bianchi2 ecotec conversion

109K views 1K replies 64 participants last post by  bianchi2 
#1 ·
Just designed the interface between the Alfa belhousing and the ecotec block,next get the motor

#378 · (Edited)
more photos, you like them photos.. once I get the engine/ tranny in the car, and chose the motor mounts I want, I will build the rest of the mounts out.. will be in polly, the tranny mount is polly allready

Attachments

#379 ·
first try at motor mount brackets,, welder was having problem, but the idea was good using 1/4 inch steel, with gussets..might add a little more steel on the longer plates, these will be cut down to size, once I put engine in, and choose what mount I plan to use

Attachments

#382 ·
Just one thought on engine/gearbox mount. The reason the Alfa gearbox mount is designed as it is is so that in an accident situation the engine and gearbox are trapped to the body shell. Now of course if the accident is hard enough the gearbox will break but cars are designed so that at least one mount will not permit the engine to shoot forward or backwards in an accident.

The mounts you have suggested will shear in said accident and then you have a X kg's missile. One solution is to what the English did, and add heavy plates in front and behind the mounts to hopefully limit the engine assemblies flight path, but Alfa Romeo did a much more elegant solution (again).
Pete

#383 ·
I would think that the transmission mount( the alum. ring mount,) would break fairly easily, as the motor mounts ( oem ) would also.the polly mounts area a fair bit stiffer, stronger.. but on the tranny tunnel cutaway I did to mount the engine further back ( as some one here requested :) )I plan to build a steel cage to stiffen the area, and provide some safety.

#384 ·
When you get to wiring that cluster, I would be interested in what you find for the various signals. I got a simple late model tack for a project and am curious what kind of signal it takes. It's also a circuit board on the back of the tack, so I'm not sure if I solder a connector or what.

Does this cluster have plugs on the back?

#385 · (Edited)
2 multi plugs, I use ford sensors( yes on a gm engine)mainly for oil, tach speedo,gas, water , volt are volts easy one there, gas sender, using a ford in tank mount( cut the tank in my car, to fit the ford intank system,,lucky same depth of tank, cutting the tank on a mustang to get the fitting ring parts/ mount on top of the tank. water temp, one for the ecu, one inline on a rad hose for the gauge

Attachments

#387 ·
that's the way I bought them.. all the ecotec headers exp. one stye has paired pipes,, I needed the room,, the inner " A " arm inside the engine bay is very close the the engine

#388 ·
dash work, and firewall and tunnel cut out for tranny/engine, set it back as far as I could.. 70% of the engine will behind front axle centerline..that should make someone here very happy:):)

Attachments

Reactions: PSk
#390 ·
psk.. I did some extra work on the engine, I had a friend at my machine shop weigh the engine, and find the balance point of it,, 72 percent of the weight of the engine will be behind the front axle centerline..pretty cool

Reactions: PSk
#393 ·
new dash, insterment cluster

with 1 inch foam board on the alumiumn panel, the insterment panel will not rise as high as a late S3 cluster, but all insterment will be able to seen thru steering wheel, I will glass the finel shape of the upper part in a few weeks, then do bottom of dash,,it will be a ' free floating ' type set up. the top of the insterment panel will only raise 2.5 inchs taller than dash., try to get more photos with foam on dash to get you folks a better idea. making the surround around the insterment panel will be a challange

Attachments

#395 · (Edited)
getting close to basic shape

next clat to profile to finel shape, then glass over it,, in a week or so, bottom half.. the dash will be 2 tone, lighter on top darker on bottom. will temp. install in car sunday , more photos then. the trim around the cluster to dash shell will be hard to make.

Attachments

#397 ·
nope that did not come out right,, on pass. side took too much off, and the interface between the dach and windshield too close.. lets do this again.. test fit next sunday. this time I will not tape it off with aluiumn tape until I get shape well done, ( its hard to take off the foam )

Attachments

#398 ·
glass job, the bottom layer, heavy weight glass cloth ( 7.5 oz. ), next two layer, lightweight cloth ( 3.2 oz. )

Attachments

#404 · (Edited)
con rods, the spots are water spots, and the fine lines that you see on some rods, now have been polished out

Attachments