164LS electric nuisance issues, certain buttons don't work - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

164LS electric nuisance issues, certain buttons don't work

1994 164LS.
For the several years I have had the car, I have not been able to figure out the following issues.
I have spent more time on them then I care to admit.

1) Electric Fuel door release, never worked
2) Electric trunk release, never worked
3) Hazard warning flashers, never worked
4) The 2 green LCD displays on the climate control are so DIM I've barely ever been able to read them.

Here is where it gets weird. I replaced the entire center console unit, that giant unit with climate control and the 2 rows of buttons, including the above mentioned buttons. I have the exact 4 issues listed above with either of the consoles I have, the used one I bought from Europe, and the one that came in the car. Same. I also replaced those little green LCD light bulbs with new ones from Audi, SAME PROBLEM! Too dim to see anything. That's with the new bulbs in BOTH consoles...

The Hazards, fuel door, trunk release all seem to have in common one thing: They are designed to work regardless of whether the engine is running or if the key is in the ignition or not, Am I right? That's an interesting similarity.

They are all next to each other (the buttons that is) on the top row of buttons in the center console ABOVE the green LCD climate screens.
That top row left to right is Fuel door, trunk, blank, hazard, Front fog, rear fog, Parking lights.
Its not the whole row that doesn't work. Front fog works! Rear fog doesn't (probably the bulb as the dashboard light comes on for it), parking lights work off that button.

I can't figure this out. I thought it was the console or the buttons, replaced the console, same issue. It's got to be something not wired correctly, loose wire, bad connection, short, etc.
I give up.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 01:22 PM

OK here are a few thoughts
1. If the LED console is really dim, can I ask you, does it get dimmer when the headlights are turned on? If a Canada car originally, it may have the 'daytime running lights' relay that turns on headlights all the time. In this case, the LED backlight goes to DIM.

2. Hazards should work at all times, as I recall trunk and fuel door only work when the speed is <5 mph. I;ll have to go look at my schematics to remind me of this.

3. Have you checked the fuses for these items? Both trunk and fuel door are solenoid operated and draw a decent surge current. You might also check inside the trunk to make sure that the wires to each of these are connected

4. Hazards need to be fixed as a safety item. I'll look this week at the schematics to remind myself of the circuit but do check the fuses in the fuse box.

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump
71 Spider 1750 BOMBER ; 1995 LS 78K tight fast car
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

hey goats,
Thanks for your reply. The LED console does not get dimmer when the headlights are turned on. Its really dim regardless of headlights, in bright sun, I can barely read the temp and what the fan / temp is doing. It was not a Canada car originally, as far as I know. It's VIN shows it was sold new in 94 at Denver Alfa Romeo. I will look into this daytime running lights relay though.
I did check all fuses, and all fuses for these items are okay. I took them out and cleaned them and put them back in, but they were okay.
I have not dug up the trunk to fine the fuel door motor yet, I will do that this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Problem Solved!

I went hunting through the fuse box and finally noticed a missing fuse for the first time.

The previous owner removed a fuse called "Direct Current to Electronic Unit"
As soon as I added a fuse there, BOOM! Everything worked! The climate control lit up, the clock lit up! The fuel door worked, the trunk worked!
The hazards worked right away, the fog lights.
Everything.
It's all working!
One 7.5 amp fuse.

Now the question, why would the PO remove this fuse?

Last edited by pbrtallboy; 09-14-2019 at 01:33 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode