No power windows, winshiled wipers etc - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

No power windows, winshiled wipers etc

My 166 3.0 super -99 have an irritating electric fault. I’ve been troubleshooting for months. Windscreen vipers, power windows, central locking, potentiometer and radio is’nt working. Have replaced fuses, relays, fusebox and power window control units, checked earths but no luck. Have been through eLearn and AlfaEcuScan but can’t find the source of the problem. Anybody out there that has a clue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 03:45 AM

Can’t be definitive here, but after much head scratching, and with little help from wiring diagrams etc, my son has just traced a similar set of missing electrical devices (instruments, too) to a 10A fuse for ‘ignition-switched-electrical devices’ (servizi vario in 105 speak, but the 164s still do it that way too) in his 3.0 GTV. A relay does this circuit, it seems, but there’s a fuse in there too, so keep checking fuses everywhere. Too much of a coincidence to have so many items out of commission.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

Tomik

Thanks, yes, it could be a built in fuse in one of the relays, like the R1. This gives me a new approach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 04:37 AM

Sorry, Perhaps I could have phrased it better, but the dead fuse wasn’t ‘inside’ the relay on that circuit, but additional. And he found this one after saying “yes dad, I checked the fuses’. It seems different models have fuses in different places.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

Italian magic.
"-Guiseppe, we need another extra fuse for the devices"
-"Bene, I put one in somewhere under the dash"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:33 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Just an idea for you to ponder/check - on the 164 the ignition switch has 3 power contacts besides the 4th one for starter and one of those three that powers/operates many accessories is known to go dead. Have no idea how the 166 is set up.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Virginia Beach, VA
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Tomik

Looking at eLearn, all of the not-working devices seems to be at socket A on the backside of the fusebox. Allthough I changed fusebox, if there is no power from the ignition switch, nothing will happen. I will try to put 12V directly to the pins of the unplugged socket to see if they are activated or not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode