No start - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

No start

74 GTV. Disconnected + and - terminals of battery . removed Spica airbox to remove and replace Fuel filter ( was filthy inside) and new rubber fuel lines. Reconnected battery and turn key and nothing. No fuel pump, dash lights, or crank. Headlights turn on though. Ideas? Thanks. Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 04:56 AM

Hmmm...

74 you say. US spec? That was the year of the infamous seat belt interlock. But that only inhibits the starter, not the other functions when you turn the key on. The lighting circuit is independent from the switch.

I suspect voltage is not getting to the ignition switch. You need to check that the various functions work as follows as you turn the key.

Brown - Supplies power to fuse 6 (switched accessories) Should be hot whenever the ignition switch is "on."
Black - Key buzzer
Green - Coil. Hot when ignition switch is "on."
Red - Hot side of fuse 2 (unswitched accessories) Main input power into the ignition switch
Red/Black - to Terminal 10 of seat-belt interface module (then to the starter relay) Hot when ignition switch is in the "start" position only.

(Thanks, Roadtrip... link)

As a first step, you can first check voltage in the fuse box on both sides of fuses 2 and 6 - maybe a fuse is blown or loose - if this is ok then proceed to remove the bottom cover of the steering column (5 allen screws), get on your back and check the terminals at the switch.

It is not uncommon for the contacts inside the switch to give up after a few decades. A new switch is then indicated.

Yves Boulanger
1974 2000GTV; 1982 GTV6 Balocco #194
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for this info. I'm surprised/ curious how the switch would fail, coincidentally, when working under the hood. I thought maybe I knocked a wire loose . I'm going to re look this today. Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

No Start

After removing and replacing ignition switch with no improvement, went wire by wire. Found a wad of electrical tape on hot lead from ignition switch to starter. Removed tape to find separated crimp connection. Replaced crimp connection with new, and heat shrink wrapped. Starts/ runs good as new. Apparently, while wrestling off old rubber fuel lines, I knocked this from precariously connected to disconnected. Always a treat working on old cars.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 03:08 AM

Do I understand this connects the switch directly to the starter solenoid? Then this is the way someone cancelled the seat belt interlock. I bet the bad connection was near the coil in the right corner of the firewall.

It would be a good idea to reinstall a start relay. With a Spica pump, the switch does not only see a load from the starter solenoid but also from the cold start solenoid - they are connected together. Eventually it kills the ignition switch start contact, juts as the headlamps kill the main contact in the switch.

No rush, someday.

Yves Boulanger
1974 2000GTV; 1982 GTV6 Balocco #194

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode