Looking for troubleshooting directions for a dead fuse terminal - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gordon Raymond

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Looking for troubleshooting directions for a dead fuse terminal

Hi guys-Electrical troubleshooting is a bit of a black arts thing for me. I have a number of accessories not working-running lights, tail lights, fan, instrument lights etc and have not worked since I bought the car-1974 GTV (Euro delivery)

Fuses all pass a continuity test and have been cleaned. The fuse terminal block however is not passing a continuity test when the fuses are pulled in fuse slot #1 and #6. My owners manual shows 1-4 as being main devices (so broad as to be not helpful and #6 shows as Indicating devices

My wiring diagram is hard/impossible to read so I'll probably end up buying one of those large laminated ones. That being said, I'm hoping for suggestions or a link to a previous post that may shine a light (pun intended) on my path to enlightenment.

Please advise and thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 07:29 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
My knowledge of automotive electricity is limited to the smoke theory - that electricity moves through the wires by smoke. When the smoke escapes things stop working...

As for Alfa fuse boxes, I always suggest a couple of things. 1) if the fuses are of unknown vintage replace them. Somehow the bullet type fuses in our cars can appear OK and even pass a test with an ohm meter but in use they fail to allow sufficient electrons to flow. Especially the fuses with the aluminum strip. I prefer the fuses with a brass strip. If needed, gently bend the fuse contacts so they are held firmly in place.

And B), unhook and lower the fuse box down, turn it around and check that all the connectors in the back are fully inserted. It can help to one by one remove and re-insert each connector. Doing this scrapes off any slight corrosion making for a more reliable connection.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 08:26 PM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

In one Ferrari,a '65 I had the copper wire inside the screw tensioned hole in the back of the fuse block oxidize, turning black. Continuity was lost despite a tight screw. I shortened the wire, re-stripped the same amount of insulation, reinstalled the shiny copper wire (braided) and all was well. I thought about removing every wire, and tinning the bare copper ends with solder before re-inserting and tightening ALL those screws. Then I though... "You FIXED it. All the rest are bare copper and NOT black. Call it GOOD". Years later it was still fine, and NO SMOKE had ESCAPED!
alfaloco likes this.

Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 04:44 PM

Fuses 1-4 are all "always hot" circuits which should operate when the car is off, key is removed. These include interior lights, brake lights, wipers, turn signals, hvac blower. These four terminals are "bussed" on the hot side meaning a single 10ga wire from the starter feeds all four. I would look to see if this wire has +12v at both of its ends. Do you have attached wiring diagram from papajam? There are many versions of it, there may be one more correct to your Euro car than I am attaching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Alfa View Post
Hi guys-Electrical troubleshooting is a bit of a black arts thing for me. I have a number of accessories not working-running lights, tail lights, fan, instrument lights etc and have not worked since I bought the car-1974 GTV (Euro delivery)

Fuses all pass a continuity test and have been cleaned. The fuse terminal block however is not passing a continuity test when the fuses are pulled in fuse slot #1 and #6. My owners manual shows 1-4 as being main devices (so broad as to be not helpful and #6 shows as Indicating devices

My wiring diagram is hard/impossible to read so I'll probably end up buying one of those large laminated ones. That being said, I'm hoping for suggestions or a link to a previous post that may shine a light (pun intended) on my path to enlightenment.

Please advise and thanks
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf 11501 2000 GT Veloce 1973 R5.pdf (54.5 KB, 8 views)

'73 GTV bare metal project... nearing 'car' status
E30 Daily - '65 912 project... no longer in waiting
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 04:49 PM

Found a pic of the fuse box showing the bussing in question. Do you have +12v at all times at the bussed side of fuses 1,2,3,4?
Attached Images

'73 GTV bare metal project... nearing 'car' status
E30 Daily - '65 912 project... no longer in waiting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode