removing instrument cluster ring 1990 spider - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

removing instrument cluster ring 1990 spider

I am restoring a 1990 spider. I need to diagnose a problem with my water temp gauge, but can't seem to get the trim ring that surrounds the instrument cluster to come off. The sides pop, but the very top is just staying put. Any secret to getting it to pop off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 01:12 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

I don't have any photos, but there are two clips along the top towards the left and right. You just sort of need to push down on the ring while gently pulling and it should pop out. Don't force it. If it takes a lot of force something is wrong, and you should try pushing in a slightly different place.

The top part of the ring is easy, the tricky part is getting it in and out on the bottom where the column cover is. It's tight but you can squeeze it in and out, though.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Thanks for the tip, Tom. The ring is sticking right at the top center. Not sure what to try next. But I've moved on to other issues on the restoration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 01:55 AM

unclip the top clips before the bottom.
Photos here show the tabs you need to get at.
3 credit cards at the same time does the trick, and stops them clicking back in.

Oh and before you dig in, what exactly is the problem with the water temp gauge?
Attached Images

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 06:10 AM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Ah, see: I forgot the center clip. That’s what happens when I work from memory.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

The problem-
The gauge doesn't move as the car warms up. If I disconnect the lead to the temp sender and ground it, the gauge still doesn't move. So I'm guessing a gauge issue. Could be a poor connection on the + side of the gauge or something in the gauge. I think by checking the actual gauge connections, it will give me some clues.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonDave View Post
The problem-
The gauge doesn't move as the car warms up. If I disconnect the lead to the temp sender and ground it, the gauge still doesn't move. So I'm guessing a gauge issue. Could be a poor connection on the + side of the gauge or something in the gauge. I think by checking the actual gauge connections, it will give me some clues.
ok, makes sense

but, just to be certain, you are grounding the wire to the temp. sender to the right of the blue motronic sender.....correct?
(iow. not the overheat warning light sender on top of the head)
Attached Images

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Yep. That's the one-just to the right of the Motronic temp sender. Thanks for the pictures.
The overheat warning light sender wire when grounded lights up the warning on the instrument cluster.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 09:52 AM

you could also try following the wire from the sender where it goes into the harness, and whilst some watches the gauge, wiggle it about....just to make sure it is not a broken wire in the engine compartment somewhere.

If it comes to removing the cluster, first look at all the warning lights and illumination lights, that they are working....easier to replace on if you know which is bad!

If you need a S3.5 (1990) specific wiring diagram (shows also the cluster schematic, which will help you trace connections to the water temp. gauge) then PM me with your mail and I'll send you the one I received from Jim Papajam, just before his passing.

Dom

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Thanks for the hints. I'll try every little thing first before tackling taking out the cluster. And yes, I'd love a wiring diagram to trace down what might be going on. I will pm you with an email address.
Dave Astoria

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode