91 Spider Alternator issues - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

91 Spider Alternator issues

I have intermittent Alternator issue w/ 91 Spider. I Replaced the alternator but still happens. Alternator wont start to work ( charge) until car runs several minutes > 2000 rpm. After that, it will charge fine even at idle. if you turn off engine and restart just moments later, it does the same thing !
Where does teh green ,ground wire off the alternator terminate ? I see it goes to a terminal block on fender well then it goes through the fire wall. Should it be grounded to chassis ? It reads open to ground.
Is there another relay or sensing device that activates after a sufficient drain/load on the battery ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 02:10 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Does the indicator light on the dash work? Does the dash light glow brightly while the car is running those first several minutes > 2000 rpm? If not, that may be your issue. Some alternators need to receive voltage through the indicator light to know that the key has been turned on and that they should begin charging.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

hmmm...it does not come on when you first turn the key and all the other indicator lights come on.
I have seen it flicker a few times, but the voltmeter seems to be working ( and shows drop in volts when you turn on the headlights or blower).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 02:31 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

The green wire runs from that terminal block on the fender through the alternator warning bulb on the dash to to the +12 output of fuse 8. It should not be grounded. It serves as the voltage sense & kickover for the alternator.

Fuse 8 needs to be good, and you need to have the correct 1.2W bulb in the alternator warning location for the system to work right.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 02:34 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwtsbt View Post
hmmm...it does not come on when you first turn the key and all the other indicator lights come on.
I have seen it flicker a few times, but the voltmeter seems to be working ( and shows drop in volts when you turn on the headlights or blower).
It should come on when you first turn the key, so something isn't right.

Tom

1974 GTV
1991 Spider
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

that makes sense...the operation is intermittent and it acted like it was waiting for some other relay to close before charging started. Ive seen the bulb flicker so hopefully its just loose in socket and cant complete the circuit.
Next step is figuring out how to access display.
Thanks...
Mike
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 03:16 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
Has the indicator bulb been changed? IIRC that bulb has to be a specific wattage (which I don't remember...) or the excitation circuit doesn't work right.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 03:28 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubi
The green wire runs from that terminal block on the fender through the alternator warning bulb on the dash to to the +12 output of fuse 8. It should not be grounded. It serves as the voltage sense & kickover for the alternator. Fuse 8 needs to be good, and you need to have the correct 1.2W bulb in the alternator warning location for the system to work right.
Right. The fact that the old and new alternator behaved the same way suggests to me that the indicator circuit could be the issue. Might be as simple as a loose socket that makes an intermittent connection with the bulb.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 03:55 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwtsbt View Post
that makes sense...the operation is intermittent and it acted like it was waiting for some other relay to close before charging started. Ive seen the bulb flicker so hopefully its just loose in socket and cant complete the circuit.
Next step is figuring out how to access display.
Thanks...
Mike
It's not too tough. See the first three posts in this thread. Hardest part is getting the trim ring back in place along the bottom.

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spi...4-spiders.html

The bulb should be Sylvania 2721 1.2W. If you're going in there I'd replace the bulb regardless.

Tom

1974 GTV
1991 Spider
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Awesome guys, thanks a lot, on my way to auto parts store tomorrow. Are all the lights the same? Might as well change them all while I am in there. Car been sitting for 7 years....ugh!

I got it running but still needs a lot of TLC!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode