Starter issues - 81 Alfa??? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ghnl
  • 1 Post By Eduard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Starter issues - 81 Alfa???

My 81 Alfa is in my driveway nonresponsive.

I had it stored for 2 years (2 Wisconsin winters) in a proper dry location during which time I worked on it occasionally. Prior to which I had installed 2 wonderful wonderful Webers! 2 weeks ago I took it out of storage.

Taking all the proper precautions and prep it turned over on the first try. Drove it 38 uneventful miles into town. It was stopped and was restarted a number of times over the next few days.

It sat in my driveway for 10 days as I resembled the center console, carpet, etc... I go to turn over the engine yesterday and NOTHING. When I attempt to start the car nothing seems to happen... no spark, no crank,no dimming of lights, nothing. Any thoughts? When key is turned and proper lights light, buzzers buzz, radio plays, fuel is pumping. All electronics SEEM to function; lights, windows, fan, etc...

I'm getting old and stuff like this is a great mental challenge. It keeps the gray matter fresh. But, I gotta tell ya the neighbor kid's big wheel is looking attractive.

Any Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 07:28 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
How old is the battery? (although I've had a "new" battery be bad...) How clean & tight are all the connections in the battery to starter circuit (including/especially the grounds)?

The Alfa ignition switch is a known weak point. The internal contacts will eventually burn or corrode and not be able pass the current needed to activate the starter solenoid. A fairly easy (and inexpensive) work around is to add a relay to the system. Then the ignition switch only has to pass the tiny amount to electrons needed to trigger the relay. The relay handles the larger amount of current to activate the starter.
partridge likes this.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 01:17 AM

it seems this happened only after your centre console work, so
could you have pulled a wire from the ignition switch?

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 02:36 AM

Did you check the most obvious, ie the fuses?
partridge likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I was worried about that so I avoided the wiring coming down from the steering column like the plague. That said I will check this evening. Thanks
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Fuses checked

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode