Reelocating battery to boot 71 Giulia GTV - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Reelocating battery to boot 71 Giulia GTV

Hi I am restoring a 71 Giulia GTV coupe with a 8V TS engine. I would like to relocate the battery to the boot and have a couple of questions.

1. Could some suggest the best place for the earth strap.

2 I trust it is ok to run a cable from the battery to the starter and then onto the cabling at the front of the car (alternator etc).

Thanks for any help suggestions/links

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 02:22 PM
Ground strap can go just about anywhere convenient. Are you planning on moving it to the right side pocket just ahead of the taillight or on the the shock tower shelf?

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 03:47 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfanut1750 View Post
I trust it is ok to run a cable from the battery to the starter and then onto the cabling at the front of the car (alternator etc).
That's not just OK, it's about the only way you can do it.

You'll also need to run a 10 gauge wire from the 8 mm lug on the starter to the alternator - that can either go along the cross member under the engine (where the old battery "+" cable used to go) or around the engine compartment. Then another heavy gauge wire (probably a factory wire) will connect the starter or alternator to the fuse box, ignition switch, headlight switch, etc.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 06:01 PM
Gold Subscriber

shameless plug, er, stud

something like the junction I have for sale on ebay is good for connecting the various feed paths: alternator, battery terminal on starter and fusebox

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32296636623...84.m1555.l2649

PS - When mounting the battery in the trunk, rubber spacer washers between the body and the metal battery tray helps in controlling inevitable corrosion

current:
84 Spider Veloce
ex:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

solve problems, learn something new!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprocket View Post
Ground strap can go just about anywhere convenient. Are you planning on moving it to the right side pocket just ahead of the taillight or on the the shock tower shelf?

I was thinking of centrally on the shelf, but open to suggestions. Initially wanted to put it on the right side but there’s no room unless I infringe on the wheel well.

Are there any photos of what others have done?

thanks.
Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerspeed View Post
something like the junction I have for sale on ebay is good for connecting the various feed paths: alternator, battery terminal on starter and fusebox

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32296636623...84.m1555.l2649

PS - When mounting the battery in the trunk, rubber spacer washers between the body and the metal battery tray helps in controlling inevitable corrosion

Good idea re washers. I have a modern version of the junction box thanks

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 07:28 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
I was thinking of centrally on the shelf, but open to suggestions. Initially wanted to put it on the right side but there’s no room unless I infringe on the wheel well.
I dislike locating a battery centrally on the shelf because it really reduces your trunk capacity. If it must go on that shelf, I would at least offset it toward the passenger side (to offset the weight of the driver when riding solo) so you still have some storage space on the shelf.

The factory put the battery ahead of the R tail light on later spiders, and I think even put it there on GTV's with A/C. But I have never relocated the battery on a GT to that position, so don't want to say that it should drop right in. Maybe you need to use a smaller battery to make that location work.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
The factory put the battery ahead of the R tail light on later spiders, and I think even put it there on GTV's with A/C. But I have never relocated the battery on a GT to that position, so don't want to say that it should drop right in. Maybe you need to use a smaller battery to make that location work.
The battery in my '65 Sprint GT is located just forward of the right tail light as Jay describes. I didn't do the relocation. It was there when I bought the car in '93. The battery tray and supports are welded in place. That's my recollection but have not studied it in a long time. Wow. That trunk needs a good cleaning.
Attached Images

Rich Hanning
'65 Sprint GT, '78 Spider, '88 Quad
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 08:35 AM
Gold Subscriber

There was a nice installation in the 67 Super I recently sold.
Mounted on the shelf, just right of center.
Then wires were threaded through to the passenger side of the floor. A kill switch was secured at the angle between the floor and the shelf, such that it could be turned on/off from the driver's seat.
Then obscured by the floor mat.

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 09:05 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:

Are there any photos of what others have done?

thanks.
Chris

Don't have photos, but mounted the tray along the fender by the tail light, it is true that it will overhang the spare tire well, by using shock top rubber bushings as spacers between the floor and the battery tray there will be enough clearance to get the spare in and out of the well and you'll be able to slide the trunk mat edge under the battery tray edge for a clean look

current:
84 Spider Veloce
ex:

solve problems, learn something new!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode