Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/)
-   Electrical, Chassis & Lighting (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/electrical-chassis-lighting/)
-   -   Reelocating battery to boot 71 Giulia GTV (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/electrical-chassis-lighting/629625-reelocating-battery-boot-71-giulia-gtv.html)

Alfanut1750 12-31-2017 11:17 AM

Reelocating battery to boot 71 Giulia GTV

Hi I am restoring a 71 Giulia GTV coupe with a 8V TS engine. I would like to relocate the battery to the boot and have a couple of questions.

1. Could some suggest the best place for the earth strap.

2 I trust it is ok to run a cable from the battery to the starter and then onto the cabling at the front of the car (alternator etc).

Thanks for any help suggestions/links

Chris

gprocket 12-31-2017 02:22 PM

Ground strap can go just about anywhere convenient. Are you planning on moving it to the right side pocket just ahead of the taillight or on the the shock tower shelf?

Alfajay 12-31-2017 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfanut1750 (Post 7991529)
I trust it is ok to run a cable from the battery to the starter and then onto the cabling at the front of the car (alternator etc).

That's not just OK, it's about the only way you can do it.

You'll also need to run a 10 gauge wire from the 8 mm lug on the starter to the alternator - that can either go along the cross member under the engine (where the old battery "+" cable used to go) or around the engine compartment. Then another heavy gauge wire (probably a factory wire) will connect the starter or alternator to the fuse box, ignition switch, headlight switch, etc.

rogerspeed 12-31-2017 06:01 PM

shameless plug, er, stud

something like the junction I have for sale on ebay is good for connecting the various feed paths: alternator, battery terminal on starter and fusebox

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32296636623...84.m1555.l2649

PS - When mounting the battery in the trunk, rubber spacer washers between the body and the metal battery tray helps in controlling inevitable corrosion

Alfanut1750 01-01-2018 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gprocket (Post 7991777)
Ground strap can go just about anywhere convenient. Are you planning on moving it to the right side pocket just ahead of the taillight or on the the shock tower shelf?

I was thinking of centrally on the shelf, but open to suggestions. Initially wanted to put it on the right side but there’s no room unless I infringe on the wheel well.

Are there any photos of what others have done?

thanks.
Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alfanut1750 01-01-2018 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogerspeed (Post 7992105)
something like the junction I have for sale on ebay is good for connecting the various feed paths: alternator, battery terminal on starter and fusebox

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32296636623...84.m1555.l2649

PS - When mounting the battery in the trunk, rubber spacer washers between the body and the metal battery tray helps in controlling inevitable corrosion

Good idea re washers. I have a modern version of the junction box thanks

Alfajay 01-01-2018 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfanut1750 (Post 7992409)
I was thinking of centrally on the shelf, but open to suggestions. Initially wanted to put it on the right side but there’s no room unless I infringe on the wheel well.

I dislike locating a battery centrally on the shelf because it really reduces your trunk capacity. If it must go on that shelf, I would at least offset it toward the passenger side (to offset the weight of the driver when riding solo) so you still have some storage space on the shelf.

The factory put the battery ahead of the R tail light on later spiders, and I think even put it there on GTV's with A/C. But I have never relocated the battery on a GT to that position, so don't want to say that it should drop right in. Maybe you need to use a smaller battery to make that location work.

65Sprint 01-01-2018 07:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfajay (Post 7992521)
The factory put the battery ahead of the R tail light on later spiders, and I think even put it there on GTV's with A/C. But I have never relocated the battery on a GT to that position, so don't want to say that it should drop right in. Maybe you need to use a smaller battery to make that location work.

The battery in my '65 Sprint GT is located just forward of the right tail light as Jay describes. I didn't do the relocation. It was there when I bought the car in '93. The battery tray and supports are welded in place. That's my recollection but have not studied it in a long time. Wow. That trunk needs a good cleaning.

Subtle 01-01-2018 08:35 AM

There was a nice installation in the 67 Super I recently sold.
Mounted on the shelf, just right of center.
Then wires were threaded through to the passenger side of the floor. A kill switch was secured at the angle between the floor and the shelf, such that it could be turned on/off from the driver's seat.
Then obscured by the floor mat.

:)

rogerspeed 01-01-2018 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfanut1750 (Post 7992409)

Are there any photos of what others have done?

thanks.
Chris

Don't have photos, but mounted the tray along the fender by the tail light, it is true that it will overhang the spare tire well, by using shock top rubber bushings as spacers between the floor and the battery tray there will be enough clearance to get the spare in and out of the well and you'll be able to slide the trunk mat edge under the battery tray edge for a clean look