1979 Dead ignition - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Unhappy 1979 Dead ignition

So this is my first post, and I'm a novice. Double wammy.

Purchased a 79 Spider which started and ran well. Noticed a toggle under the dash and made the very poor decision to switch the toggle while in the "start" position. Power went dead in the "start" position but the "run" position was still hot. Gauges and lights on, power to the fuel pump. Then I went searching and found out the toggle was installed to interrupt the line between the CSS and the starter solenoid. Being a novice, I replaced the starter/solenoid but still no luck. Still power in the "run" position but nothing in the "start" position. Got a wiring diagram from PapaJam specific for the 79 with the SPICA injection system.

Checked power on the ignition lead at the starter which indicated that the ignition switch was likely the problem. Ordered a new ignition switch from Centerline and pole 16 (to the starter coil) was not present on the new switch. Called Centerline and they suggested combining the green wire and the black wire onto post 30 (the correct placement for the ignition switch). Tried this with no luck, and the gauges didn't work. Disconnected the green wire (to the coil) and at least got power in the "run" position again.

Under the hood again discovered that PO had an RML electronic ignition installed. Unfortunately, I can't find the ignition advance relay so no black/white wire to the CSS. Don't see the wiring to the vacuum switch. Getting power to the starter/solenoid. Trying to figure out now what to do with the green wire on the ignition switch (someone suggested a push button ignition switch but I'd like to keep the new keyed switch). And can't figure out why I'm still getting nothing when trying to start. Can't even get the starter to turn over by directly touching power (black) wire directly to the hot (red) wire even though I get good spark. Took out the toggle and don't plan to reinstall. Plan to modify as described in other posts to power CSS from the second pole on the starter solenoid.

Any ideas on (1) the new ignition switch and what to do with the wire to the coil, (2) the possible location of the ignition advance relay (3) any other possible modifications for the RML ignition which may have been affected by my decision to flip the switch and the worst possible time. Some education is VERY expensive.

Thank you in advance.

Scott Sheldon
Novice, but willing to learn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode