1984 fuel pump fuse/relay search.... - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

1984 fuel pump fuse/relay search....

Hello all.
I was wondering if anybody could tell me where the fuses and/or relay to the fuel pump for my 1984 Spider Veloce 2000i are? (California model)
The fuel pump works wired directly off the battery and she fires up, but not from the ignition. The fuses under the dash are all OK........
Any clues anyone?
Thank you in advance.
Pablo.
Spain.
Name:  DSCF0010.jpg
Views: 1777
Size:  37.5 KB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 06:55 AM
Trained (ex)Professional

1953-2018 RIP

Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

The fuelpump fuse and fuelpump relay are located underneath the rear parcel shelf behind the right seat. The main relay and fuel computer also reside there. The fuelpump relay is the taller of the two relays.
The fuelpump power feed circuit is designed such that the fuelpump will be powered only if the engine cranking or the engine is running. There will be NO power to the fuelpumps with the ignition on and engine off.
If you would like the wiring diagrams for your Spider, please provide me your email address in a private message and I'll send them to you.

Jim

Series 2 USA 1750 GTV (in Series 1 European clothing)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Fuel pump.....

Thank you Papajam.
I have found them.
I have removed and cleaned the fuse and all looks ok.
Put it all back, and still wont fire up.
(I am a musician, not an electro-mechanic, but I am eager to learn)
Name:  fuel pump fuse  and relay.jpg
Views: 4377
Size:  43.3 KB

Last edited by pablomonk; 03-27-2014 at 03:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 10:56 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
L-jet is a system. All its bits have to work for it to work at all. See the link in my signature to a page of things you can check at home with a simple Volt-Ohm meter.

One important thing to note is that the computers will not power on unless the system voltage is about 10.5V or higher. During cranking a weak battery, failing starter or poor electrical connections can cause the system voltage to drop below that threshold. Test system voltage by connecting a voltmeter to the battery and see what it measures during cranking. If marginal, charge up the battery & clean all the connections in the battery to starter circuit. Then re-test.

One other thing. An '84 Spider might have an inertia triggered fuel pump shut off switch. If it does, it'd be either a black rectangular item about the size of a cigarette pack or a silver cylindrical item about 1.5" dia X 2-3" long located in the engine bay between the windshield washer reservoir & the hood latch. Press the button on top to reset it. Better still - bypass it. Connect the wires attached to the switch together. They were problematic even when new. On later Spiders it was deleted once they decided the fuel pump relay would shut off the fuel pumps once the engine stalled (like in an accident).

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Great advice sir. Many thanks. I am going to get onto that over the weekend and see what shakes.
Just a quick question.....Assuming the fuel system has an excess return pipe (I see two pipes down there so I am guessing that's the case), can I cause damage by temporarily bypassing the system and wiring a fused switch to the fuel pump/battery so I can turn the pump on and off from the dash??? Only to see me through till the gremlin is found, caught and humanely disposed of?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 09:00 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
What you propose will not damage anything. However, it will take the safety aspect away in that the fuel pumps* will run continuously. Normally, the fuel pumps would stop if the engine were to die/stall (as in an an accident). Thus I would advise only doing it for a temporary testing period - don't leave it that way.

* there are two fuel pumps - the main pump under the car & an in-tank pump inside the fuel tank.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Thank you GHNL.
Safety advice duly noted and will be only for testing (its not on the road yet anyway...I have a way to go before that happens)
B.T.W....Why two pumps?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 09:10 AM
Trained (ex)Professional

1953-2018 RIP

Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

The sole purpose of the in-tank low pressure fuelpump is to provide fuel to the main high(er) pressure fuelpump.
In other words, the main fuelpump can not pull fuel from the tank under all conditions; it must be supplied with fuel.

Jim

Series 2 USA 1750 GTV (in Series 1 European clothing)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Wow! I have had a couple of 60's and 70's cars in the UK....so much simpler.
OK.
This weekend I have got a lot of work to do......
Cheers loads guys.
Much appreciated. I am enjoying learning something new.
(wish there was something I could do in return..)
Pablo.
:-)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 08:38 PM

Great info.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode