cheap altern' for carrelo headlights - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By enkai74

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

cheap altern' for carrelo headlights

i did have all 4 orig head lights which suprised the local alfa workshop but now one has been hit with a stone and got a bulls eye crack.

here in australia im having trouble finding head lights at 5.5" [5.25"?] to fit my 116 GTV till someone told me a cheap altern' [aus$15] that one of his friends did for his GTV6.

just chip all the glue or what ever that holds the lense to the back shell away from another 5.5" light [not the alfa one coz you might need the practice to learn what not to do to smash anything] and seperate the two.
do the same to the alfa HL and glue [silicone? ] the new lense into the alfa shell. make sense?

well it make sense to me and i had a little bit of a look at the orig and i do see the black glue or something holding it. will the mounting gear still be intact with the rear shell or just glue that on with the lense

has anyone tried this because this sonds better than a couple hundered dollars.

any other altern's?

Message me if any of my pictures are down and you would like them. Send me the topic link and I'll reupload them properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 04:23 PM

Hi,

Another alternative is to replace all the headlights with Hella's. A lot of 80's - 90's BMW's had the same size headlights. I managed to get two sets for my 105 Alfa's.
It also gets a little tricky replacing the buckets, and direction controllers. I needed to use buckets from old English cars that once housed LUcas sealed beams.
The glass lense in the Hellas is flat, where the Carello's are convex. I didn't mind the change, and the lights work way better.

Good luck.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 04:59 PM

yeah i believe many of the bmws from that period have the same size headlights. ive seena few sud, sprints and 116 gtvs with these headlights as replacements... if you search for the higher spec models (i believe the 6cyl 3 series ) they use a halogen HID globe in the same size lens ... as for putting them in im not too sure

No more Alfa ..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 05:42 PM

kiwi-kid,

Did you successfully remove the headlight glass from the reflector without breaking it?

I would like to know how you did it before I give it a try.

Cheers,
Nico
Gordon Raymond likes this.

1980 GTV Alfetta - since 1993
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 04:54 AM

Im also interested in this topic. Need to change my yellow Carrelos to white glass beams. Already bought a set of new aftermarket replacements. However they look much cheaper built. Especially the reflector part. Thinking of removing the yellow Glas and swap for the white aftermarket.

Has anyone successfully split Glas from the reflector?

How to restore reflectors?

105 Giulia * GTV6 * GTV916 * 145 QV * 156 GTA * 166 3.2 TI * 159 TI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode