Centerline Acquires International Auto Parts - Page 9 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 146 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 10:33 PM

Location: located "almost" at the geographic center of Arizona +/- a few miles
Garage
I to have seen several of the business's fail over the course of time, and they were doing very well. For whatever reason they folded. I am glad to see Centerline pick up the inventory and suppliers from IAP. I am passing my cars on to my children and they will need someone to provide parts for them. We have a very active group of enthusiasts on the board and passions can run high. I am for one thankful that we have Centerline and others that can provide parts for us. Some of the parts cannot be easy to source or find acceptable substitutes. Thank you Joe for your business.

Christopher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.alfadoctor.wordpress.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 146 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 07:47 AM

Garage
Alternate Suppliers

I have mostly used Centerline for more than 30 years (back to the Stephen days). IAP never had much in the way of 750 stuff to offer me.

That said, I found the list below (from earlier in this thread) to be missing AlfaStop. Is there a reason for this? I ask as I'm putting together an order for parts that only they offer.

Thanks
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderserie4 View Post
Main UK are:
EB Spares
Classic Alfa
Highwood Alfa
Alfaholics

don't forget Germany, lots of good suppliers here too!
OKP
my-alfa (Bertelsbeck)
a.f.l-ricambi
spiderpoint
G. Haeckner
Heinbrand
Frank Hanel
Alfa Service
del Priore

1959 Giulietta Sprint 'Veloce-ized' - owned since April 1975
post #123 of 146 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 11:59 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel View Post
That said, I found the list below (from earlier in this thread) to be missing AlfaStop. Is there a reason for this? I ask as I'm putting together an order for parts that only they offer.
An oversight would be the only reason I can think of. I just spoke with Tony a couple of weeks back. I don't get as many 750/101 cars as I do later cars, but I order something from Tony for almost every one that does come in the door.

BTW, in all this talk about takeovers & failing parts vendors, I think an important point has been lost. IAP didn't fail as a business. The founder was in his 70s, & he was ready to retire. I'm not an insider to all this, but I seriously doubt that Joe had any suitors to fight off when he acquired IAP. It's a very small niche market without six & 7 figure values on the vehicles involved. As such, it doesn't have a lot of appeal from a business perspective.

I won't dismiss or discredit anyone's negative experiences because that's not fair to someone posting honestly about their experiences. I will say that such experiences are the exception & not the rule, which is the best you can hope for with any business.

Michael Keith
Vintage Car Solutions
Houston, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

94 164LS; 83 GTV6; 74 Spider; 67 Fiat 124 Sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 146 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 02:56 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeith View Post
IAP didn't fail as a business. The founder was in his 70s, & he was ready to retire.
I was just fixing to post this about Paul.
post #125 of 146 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boccaccia View Post
Perhaps Centerline will use the opportunity to upgrade their website.

Because IAP's website functionality is quite good, while Centerline's is well,...less than good.

Second that. Intuitive is the key.
post #126 of 146 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 10:30 AM

Garage
I have mixed feeling about this! They have both servered the Alfa community for so long, and I have bought quite a few things in the past 3 years for this current project. Its like saying good bye to an old friend. When I had my Spider over 20 years ago I only knew of IAP and used them often, since it was also around the time Alfa shut down here in the United States.
post #127 of 146 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 10:44 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via AIM to john.harrill
Maybe my front caliper will come in?

Currently Owned:
1957 Giulietta Spider (Maria - Home from the painter!!)
1988 Quadrifoglio (Tony)
1987 BMW 653CSI (Gustav)
2002 VW Passat Wagon V6
2012 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

Gone, But Not Forgotten:
1966 Giulia Sprint GT
1994 164LS 5-Speed

Working on:
1959 Giulietta Spider - Restoration
1967 Fiat Dino Coupe - Restoration
1967 Duetto - Freshening
post #128 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post
So you always ask who is the manufacturer of every part you buy? And do you know which are the better and worse ones for specific parts?
You know.... yes some times I do, especially when it I consider it to be a critical part, or parts.

In fact I did this very thing today with Centerline. The young man I was dealing with got it screwed up and made a mistake. After asking and confirming what brand of front suspension and steering parts he could supply, I agreed to place the whole order for my Duetto. Which I did. Not 5 minutes later he emailed me back to 'clarify'. I'm waiting to hear how they are going to resolve this issue.

Stay tuned.... my first real order to CL could be my last.

1966 Duetto
1967 Shelby GT350
post #129 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 06:59 PM

I will miss IAP I used both and nether one seemed to have the same parts at any one time. and Vicks too, I think all of the vendors do a very very good job.
The parts are very very good compared to the US parts places.

I just got done changing every part on the front of a ford torus 2 times.
As the first set of parts were all junk from the local autoplace.
Ball joints that were bad from the get go, disks that warped real bad as soon as they got hot in normal use.
And finding that you have to shop for only moog problem solver versions. And that the regular moog parts are no good. The madness.

I would like to see the IAP type website the centerline pdf of a paper book is a real pain to find stuff.

It seems like the centerline book is smaller every year...

Getting vetted parts is a big deal. and I think all the Alfa guys do the very best they can and that credit is do.
The local chains don't do anything, any junk from china goes in a box.

1987 black Milano Verde, 1987 (made in 1986)blue $200 gold with ABS and LSD
1972 White spider 2000 Veloce
post #130 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 07:04 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyalfa View Post
I would like to see the IAP type website the centerline pdf of a paper book is a real pain to find stuff.
As said, sorry to hear IAP close and thanks to Joe at Centerline for picking up the inventory and supporting our community.

I do have to agree with slyalfa that the IAP website was more friendly.

You would choose your specific vehicle, model, year and when you searched for parts, you would be brought to the correct fit for your vehicle.

Thanks again.

Vin

1991 Spider Veloce - Red on Tan - Rosa Bionda
1987 Spider Quadrifoglio - Red on Grey - Rosa - Sold

Honey, this is the last thing I have to do, then I'm finished. It'll just be a minute.
post #131 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 04:57 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintre View Post
As said, sorry to hear IAP close and thanks to Joe at Centerline for picking up the inventory and supporting our community.

I do have to agree with slyalfa that the IAP website was more friendly.

You would choose your specific vehicle, model, year and when you searched for parts, you would be brought to the correct fit for your vehicle.

Thanks again.

Vin
See https://www.centerlinealfa.com/store If you select the SHOP button and then click on ALL button on left side of screen you can THEN select your Alfa model/series you want to shop for THEN you get specific parts lists for your model.
However, I think if they would just modify the ALL button to read Choose Model/Series it might make it easier to navigate web site catalog.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Lakeland, Florida
Virginia Beach, Virginia
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"

Last edited by Alfisto Steve; 11-26-2015 at 05:00 AM.
post #132 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 05:44 AM

I already miss the IAP catalog...... not that I can't navigate digitally, it was just nice to thumb through and find parts that I wanted, and not necessarily needed. They got extra business form guys like me who possess that instant gratification gene.

I'm sorry.... I just don't find the CL website user friendly, and not all that accurate either. You can find parts if you are willing to scroll through the 'ALL' section for your model, that don't even show up, under your specific model. The fun part is.... when you are going through the 'ALL' pages..... if you look at the details of something on page 41, and go 'Back to Listing' it takes you all the way back to page 1. If you hit your 'Back' button.... its even worse..... welcome home !!!

My first real order from CL is due to arrive in a couple of days.....the jury is still out.

BG

1966 Duetto
1967 Shelby GT350
post #133 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 07:33 AM

Totally agree as the CL website does need improvement in how the user navigates around the site.

I want to support the US Alfa parts businesses but still have yet to find a place that has ALL of what I need - in stock at and at a good price. I am tired of ordering parts from different folks and therefore have been shopping overseas a lot lately.

More times than not - better pricing/availability from the guys in the UK and with the dollar being strong the price tag is affordable. Plus you can order on Friday and the box arrives Monday!

I still peruse the NA suppliers first and see if they have what I need and compare the price but I already know the outcome...
post #134 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 11:40 AM

I rarely shop on websites. The phone is much more accurate and less time consuming. The other advantage is many of these websites are out of stock or enroute so you know exactly where you stand. If I need the product and someone doesn't have it, I find it gets their attention that I am going somewhere else and they understand with no bitterness...It's part of the thrill of an order and the agony of losing one. .... and many times the vendor has other interesting stuff not in the catalog or website. I also spread my business around. There are many sources without websites.
post #135 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 06:13 PM

I bought a starter from IAP and due to finding other issues with the car that needed attention before the starter was needed, it was almost a year before I was able to send the old starter back for my core charge refund. In the meantime, the acquisition had taken place. No problem, I returned the starter with the paperwork showing I was owed the core charge and Centerline honored it. Good on ya Centerline.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode