with less than two weeks to go to the start of the Chicago AROC convention, we are launching our appeal for volunteers to help the events run smoothly and efficiently. We are very grateful for the offers of help we have received to date, and we are pleased to be able to announce details of the volunteer roles that we need to fill. Depending on the event, volunteers may be offered incentives of free or discounted entry, or a complimentary convention T-shirt!
Please take a look through the list of events below and let us know what role or roles appeal to you and to which you feel you are best suited...
FANGIO Pre-Convention Tour:
- sweeper/breakdown vehicle and driver; we have a trailer but the truck we planned on using is out of commission. Responsibilities are to follow behind the tour and provide mechanical assistance as needed, including trailering to a safe location. Gas costs will be covered, and the entry fee will be waived
- we have most of what we need, but if you would like to help direct cars to the appropriate locations for setting up, grid, etc. please let us know
Illinois River Valley Tour:
- we plan to break the field down into several groups of 10-15 cars each. We need volunteers to lead and follow each group to prevent people from getting lost. Familiarity with the route would be a plus (this is similar to the Starved Rock tour the chapter has run for years). Existing entrants who are willing to serve in this role are welcomed
- we are in pretty good shape for running the event, but we would welcome anyone who is willing show up early (7 AM) and help with the course setup
- if you can bring an E-Z-up (canopy and frame) we need a couple of these to protect our volunteers from the sun
- someone on the Hancock observation deck to ensure stragglers make it down in time to get on the bus
- 1 or 2 people willing to assist with getting the cheesecake ready to hand out; they would need to skip the ride up to the observation deck or be prepared to return to ground level early
- we need judges! Previous experience is not required, just a willingness to devote a few hours on Saturday to judging a group of cars. You would also attend the concours judges' class on Friday afternoon at the hotel, which will be scheduled to ensure you do not miss any of the other tech sessions that afternoon. Familiarity with a particular model of Alfa is desired; please let us know your area of knowledge
- 4 to 6 volunteers for setup and/or tear down of canopies, tables and chairs, class banners, water, etc.
- 3 to 4 people to act as greeters and hand out competitors' packets
- 1 or 2 'runners' to relay questions, locate chief judge when needed, and deliver score sheets to scorers
- 6 to 8 scorers to tally judges' scoring sheets after judging
- volunteers to work checkpoints and collect the quiz papers. The Rallye is an entertaining event based on the Chicago 'corruption' theme, so be prepared to have fun.
A sense of humor and willingness to get into character are desirable volunteer attributes, with bonus points if you can wear an appropriate mob-themed costume!
Banquet and Brunch:
- a few people are needed to check banquet tickets as people enter the ballroom for the banquet and brunch events
- a couple people who can show up a little early and help hang the sponsor's banners
Please contact me if you are willing to fill one of these roles, and I will put you in touch with the appropriate event chair. I can also be reached by phone at (847) 487-7214.