Joining a club - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Joining a club

Hello, I live in Kalamazoo, Mi about halfway between Chicago and Detroit (130 miles either way). I was wondering how I can join an Alfa club and how much it costs. Any information would be great. I would have liked to make it to the 8/1/07 meet in Detroit, but my car won't be running then, and I can't very well show up in a BMW, haha. Anyway, let me know, thanks.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
You should buy my stuff:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Restore and Engine Conversion:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 09:00 PM

Here's a link to the National club: http://www.aroc-usa.org/ You'll find everything you need there, including chapter locations. As for dues, I think it's $60/year, and then some local clubs have an add-on fee to cover such things as local news letters.

Gifford
'72 Super --> SOLD, '67 GTV --> SOLD
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 11:31 PM

Convention visit

If you can make it to any part of the convention, DO IT. Who cares what car you drive up in. You can always park your BMW behind a dumpster. We are an inclusive group.
There is a whole bunch of info you can get there. LOTS of Alfas, lots of NICE Alfas.
Good tech sessions, great track/competition events, and the Concours is always out of this world.
Try it, you'll like it.

Paul Blankenship AROSC
76 Alfetta GT -Track and daily driver; 88 Milano - a continuing project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

I will have to get on that, If someone could PM me the details of the Detroit meet that would be great. I'd really hate to miss all those beautiful cars, I'll have to bring my friend and maybe that'd convince him to buy an Alfa

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
You should buy my stuff:

Last edited by 5yearplan; 07-23-2007 at 05:58 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 10:59 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to bshorey Send a message via MSN to bshorey Send a message via Yahoo to bshorey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5yearplan View Post
I will have to get on that, If someone could PM me the details of the Detroit meet that would be great. I'd really hate to miss all those beautiful cars, I'll have to bring my friend and maybe that'd convince him to buy an Alfa
Fully agree with Paul, *DON'T* miss the chance to attend the convention, it's not often they're in your own back yard. You don't have to show up in an Alfa to meet Alfa people and have fun. I've competed in events in my rental cars!

Bring money, they'll probably be an Alfa or two for sale at the convention!

bs
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 11:40 AM

Joining a Club

Quote:
Hello, I live in Kalamazoo, Mi about halfway between Chicago and Detroit (130 miles either way). I was wondering how I can join an Alfa club and how much it costs. Any information would be great. I would have liked to make it to the 8/1/07 meet in Detroit, but my car won't be running then, and I can't very well show up in a BMW, haha. Anyway, let me know, thanks.
The dues are $60 a year for national; Detroit Chapter, sponsoring this years convention, does not charge extra local add-on dues. The link on the AROC website is less than functional, but you can call the national office and get all the information you need or print off the registration form the AROC website and mail it in.

Who said you had to bring a running car to the convention? I can't think of a better place to get help and advice on getting your car back on the road. Who knows you may come out ahead of the game. You would be surprised over the years at conventions how many rebuilds or fixes I've seen done in the hotel parking lots or at the track with a lot of guys pitiching in to get the job done.

Hope to see you there!!!

Cheryl
(Not an authority nor SME on anything, just PATSYF)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Well then I will definitely make it out, do I have to get all the paperwork in before I can show up, and can I bring a non-member friend?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
You should buy my stuff:

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 09:00 PM

Contact the convention folks

http://www.motorcityalfa2007.org/

The Detroit Alfa people are just waiting to answer all your questions.

Paul Blankenship AROSC
76 Alfetta GT -Track and daily driver; 88 Milano - a continuing project
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 09:18 PM

Joining a club

Quote:
Well then I will definitely make it out, do I have to get all the paperwork in before I can show up, and can I bring a non-member friend?
If you're not a member, fill out the convention registration form. You will have to pay the $60 national dues shown on the form, $45 late registration fee, and anything else you want to do at the convention. Make sure that you fill in that you want to associate with the Detroit Chapter unless you have another preference.

Register your non-Alfa friend as others attending, like wives, girlfriends, children, SOs etc. although, you'll have to pay for things he wishes to participate in addition to yours.

Here's the link to the form: http://www.motorcityalfa2007.org/ima...n_Form_RGB.pdf

I used Paypal and had a Paypal receipt and confirming e-mail from Dave Hammond within the hour.

Conventions are fun....if you've never been to one, re-read Brian Shorey's e-mail in this thread. They are contagious, you can hardly wait until next years no matter where it is, and what he said about bring money is so true. I learned to tell Pat that we didn't have any, that it was at home, or he would have come home from every convention with another Alfa. We would have never had to buy a round trip airline ticket.

Detroit has gone all out this year....so it will definitely be a memorable one...one you will be sorry you missed, especially living in Michigan.

Btw, my husband went to college in Kalmazoo.

Eric and Dave will probably wring my neck for posting this --- you could also attend as a bandit; just show up and enjoy, but it would be primarily people watching and socializing, you couldn't get into things that required a name badge that showed you had registered and paid for the event, nor would you belong to the national or local chapter of your choice, which has substantial benefits. I know many who have done that in previous years, though.

The drawback to just showing up and registering is a lot of things are sold out now, so if you planned on the banquet or something like that, there might not be tickets available waiting until you got there to register. Having said that, Pat and I have flown into conventions at the last minute and had to pass on things or find someone that really didn't want to go to what they had paid for.

Cheryl
(Not an authority nor SME on anything, just PATSYF)

Last edited by Pat Braden; 07-23-2007 at 09:34 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 02:50 PM

If you live between Chicago and Detroit, for an additional $10 you can affiliate with BOTH chapters.

Once you're registered, just call the club administrator at (877) 399-AROC, and she can take care of stuff like that. She is very helpful.

Chuck King
1973 Berlina
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Gold Subscriber

Like Chuck said, for an additional $10. you can be part of both clubs. But since you chimed in on the CAROC site I would ask that you join the Chicago Chapter since a few of our members with GTA's and TZ's give free rides to any new member for their initiation.

Besides, food is better in Chicago.

More Italians in Chicago.

L'Alfista

'60 Giulietta Sprint
'64 Giulia Spider Veloce
'65 Giulia Sprint Speciale
'71 1750 GT Veloce
'81 GTV6
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Haha, actually I will say that the food is great in chicago

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
You should buy my stuff:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode