Good Alfa Mechanics - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Good Alfa Mechanics

I'm considering buying a 1988 Spider Quadrifoglio but want to make sure I can maintain it properly. Are there a number of competent Alfa mechanics out there who won't charge an arm and a leg for routine maintenance? I live in Skokie and would be epsecially interested in mechanics in the near northern suburbs of Chicago.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 12:10 PM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

The BEST Alfa mechanic, quite near your location, is Alan Promisco of Italia Automobili, located off of Willow road, in Northbrook. Phone 847-480-8980 or -8981. He is a sole propriator, very, very knowledgable, and his prices are very reasonable . He is also a past President of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club and has worked on Alfas for about 40 years. Call him after lunch, or leave word on his answering machine in the AM. He is busy and seldom answers phone calls before lunch. I am sure he will provide you with referances if you wish. (Tell him I sent you ) Gordon Raymond
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Raymond View Post
The BEST Alfa mechanic, quite near your location, is Alan Promisco of Italia Automobili, located off of Willow road, in Northbrook. Phone 847-480-8980 or -8981.
BEST is somewhat debatable; Al is quite good, extremely competent, and pleasant to deal with.

But I could say the exact same things about Mike Besic of Besic Motorsports in Glen Ellyn.

So you are the enviable position of having 2 top notch shops to choose from.

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 12:53 PM

Ah, but I qualified my "best" comment with, "quite near your location", Joe!
I use Mike too, and he is also four-star, but further away. (PARTICULARLY if you have to flatbed! ) Fortunately, Joe, I live about a mile from Alan's shop. He has done a ROAD-RESCUE for me! I think all owners of "older" Alfas should move to about a mile from either Mike B. or Al P.'s shops!! Gordon Raymond
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 03:32 PM

Keith,
as the immediate past president of the Chicago Alfa club, I can tell you that both Al and Mike are superb mechanics. We are lucky to have both of them. There do exist other mechanics in the Chixcago land areal however I do not have the experience with them that I do with Al and Mike. Both of them have done work for me much to my delight. If you would like to know more about the club or Al and Mike, perhaps we could talk on the phone. If that would be something you would like to do, I will give you my direct 3-mail address and we can begin there.
Don
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to all who have responded so far. Italia Automobili is less than 9 miles from my home (16 minutes according to Mapquest) and looks like a great referral. Anybody else close to Skokie?

Also, I have a post in the Cars for Sale section entitled "Is this Quad worth $15k."

You can find it at: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=36369

I've got an opportunity to purchase a very well maintained '88 Spider from a family member and we're trying to fix a fair price. If anybody from the Chicago area could take a look at that and respond also, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks again,

Keith

Last edited by alfanewbie2; 02-05-2007 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Added link
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 11:45 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
What ever happened to Larry Ogle. He used to work at Knauz.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 02:12 PM

Larry O. still works @ Knauz in Lk Bluff. However, Knauz no longer does any Alfa work. I believe Larry is working on BMW's or Mercedes now.
Gordon Raymond
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 03:43 PM
Gold Subscriber

Just in case both Gordon and Dr. Don forgot , there is a third guy in town. The shop is Autosprint (773-685-0930) and the owner is Giovanni D'Avola. All three are extremely competent. Join CAROC and find out more.

L'Alfista

'60 Giulietta Sprint
'64 Giulia Spider Veloce
'65 Giulia Sprint Speciale
'71 1750 GT Veloce
'81 GTV6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode