CAROC Spring Tour - This Saturday May 2nd! - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation CAROC Spring Tour - This Saturday May 2nd!

Alfisti,

just a reminder that the CAROC Spring Tour takes place this Saturday May 2nd! We'll meet in New Glarus, where the Wisconsin chapter is holding their annual hill climb event. Arrive in the morning to watch Alfas, pre-war cars and other invited special machinery blast up the hill. Or consider entering yourself - all 4-, 6- and 8-cylinder Alfas are eligible, and Bill Hall has issued an open invitation to CAROC. Let me know if you need an entry form.

Whether you chose to compete or spectate, we'll convene at 1 pm for the start of the tour. Jeff DeZutti has planned a route over the scenic, twisty roads of southern Wisconsin, ending up at the Frank Lloyd Wright estate Taliesin near Spring Green. The weather forecast is fantastic - 60's and sunny - and it promises to be a great time! For full details contact Jeff at (847) 826-9613, or email him here: [email protected]

See you there!

Dave.

'64 2600 Sprint
'87 Milano Verde
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 07:24 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
We Are Attending the Hillclimb

although our 164Q cannot officially compete because it is a V6 Alfa, and not a straight 6. Word has it that if you work the event, you can run the course even if not officially eligible.

We plan on running the afternoon tour to Spring Green. Let me know where and when to meet. My second favorite part of the National convention (after the "touring' portion of the track day, were the tours, and I really want to attend this one also. I also volunteered to put one on for the AROCW in the fall. I can't think of a better time than driving down a twisty road (or Lower Wacker Drive) with a bunch of Alfas in the windshield and in the rear view mirror.

See you on Saturday!

Tom

(2) 1967 Duettos (currently being made into one decent driver)
1995 Nero & Tan 164Q as a second daily driver (at least in the summer) and 164LS repair project
99 Ford Taurus SHO (my daily driver, especially in the winter)
07 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife's DD and to haul the boat).
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peglegtom View Post
although our 164Q cannot officially compete because it is a V6 Alfa, and not a straight 6. Word has it that if you work the event, you can run the course even if not officially eligible.

We plan on running the afternoon tour to Spring Green. Let me know where and when to meet. My second favorite part of the National convention (after the "touring' portion of the track day, were the tours, and I really want to attend this one also. I also volunteered to put one on for the AROCW in the fall. I can't think of a better time than driving down a twisty road (or Lower Wacker Drive) with a bunch of Alfas in the windshield and in the rear view mirror.

See you on Saturday!
Tom - that's great, we look forward to seeing you there! You are correct about the V6's being excluded; the entry form specifically says 4-, 8- and straight-6 Alfas, a detail I had not spotted before.

We'll be meeting at around 1pm for the start of the tour. I have suggested to Jeff, the tour organizer, that we meet at the Chalet Landhaus which is on the main drag in New Glarus, directly opposite the hill climb route. I'll post an update when I get confirmation. I would suggest you bring Jeff's cell number with you so you can contact him if needed - (847) 826-9613.

I'm with you on the tours - there is nothing like driving your Alfa in the twisties on a perfect day. We have a date on our schedule for a fall tour, although the route has yet to be determined. I'm also keeping an eye on the Wisconsin chapter's schedule, and I'll encourage our members to participate in their events. A tour is even more fun with a big turnout!

Dave.

'64 2600 Sprint
'87 Milano Verde
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I got a response from Jeff. His intention is to meet around the staging area.

Dave.

'64 2600 Sprint
'87 Milano Verde
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Pics and Videos from the Tour and Hill Climb

I've placed my photos and videos from the New Glarus hill climb and the CAROC spring tour on photobucket:

Hill Climb and CAROC Tour Photos
Hill Climb Videos

If you were there and have photos, please feel free to go ahead and add them to this thread.

This was my first time attending the hill climb, and I had a great time! I showed up early to check out the cars in the parking lot of the Chalet Landhaus Inn - and a fascinating and eclectic collection it was too. Anything from a pre-war Rolls Royce to an Abarth, with tons of Alfas all over. There were a lot of British cars too, mostly MGs but a couple of Jags, Triumphs, a Lotus and a Morgan. I spent about an hour as a volunteer part way up the hill, which turned out to be a good way to watch the action up close and be a part of the event. Many of my pics and video were taken there.

With the racing over we had a bite of lunch at a nearby tavern before assembling for the tour. We formed a small but enthusiastic group, including two Spiders, a 164Q, a nice Berlina and Bill Hall's flaming orange Lancia Fulvia Zagato. Jeff DeZutti's route took us over some fabulous roads and through beautiful scenery. In a little over an hour we reached the Frank Lloyd Wright estate Taliesin for a breather. At this point the group split up, with some heading home while the rest stuck around for the alternate route back to New Glarus. As we approached the end of the tour we had to slow as we got held up slightly by a less spirited driver. It occurred to me then that this was the first time since early in the tour that we had encountered any traffic at all! Note to self - must make use of the empty rural roads and undulating southern Wisconsin terrain more often!

Thanks go to the Wisconsin AROC chapter for putting on a great hill climb event, and to Jeff for his hard work putting together the tour. Thanks also to Chuck King for his help in planning the route, and to all those who made the trip out for the tour. Hopefully this will come together again for next year, and we'll get the word out earlier to ensure a better turnout.

Dave.

'64 2600 Sprint
'87 Milano Verde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode