67 GTV or 73? and Where in the chicago? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

67 GTV or 73? and Where in the chicago?

Which is best to restore 67GTV or 73GTV ? I just moved to Chicago does anyone know a great body shop for Alfa restores?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 05:52 PM
Gold Subscriber

You would first need to consider the following:

Are you just considering a '67 vs. a '73 or between '67 and '73? In '67, the GTJr. was in production and it had a 1.3 liter engive vs. a GTVeloce which had a 1.6 liter engine. Those models not including '68 since they were not imported in the US are known as "Stepnose" Coupes. Beautifully detailed a bit more spartan than the later versions. The Alfa grille is largest in these models, beautifully detailed over the lip of the hood. (See first picture)

'69 1750 GTVeloce: Diplacement of 1.8 liter (although named 1750 in homage to pre-war cars), are known to be the more sought after models for they have the most flexible engines, sportiest interiors including the "wild seats" (only on the '69's) and the four headlights in lieu of the two from earlier cars. Dual booster servo inside engine bay.

The '71 model is similar to the '69 model except that mechanically the car was improved. (See second picture)

The '72 thru '74 models increased displacement to 2 liters. Kept the four headlights and lost the solid Alfa grille and used a more distorted horizontal detailed one. More powerful engine but less flexible, not able to rev as high as the 1750's. The interior is slithly changed, using plastic in lieu of glass on its dash instruments also losing the Miura-like binacles of the 1750's. (See last picture)

In regards to restoration shops, it's too much to cover here. If you want to give me a call, I can help. I had my '71 1750 GTV restored back in '93 and it still looks and runs pretty good. I have also restored a '74 Spider and I'm in the process of restoring a '67 Giulia Super. Mike Besic (630-469-5626) did the mechanical work on my '71 GTV and it continues to run outstanding. Giovanni D'Avola of Autosprint ( 773-685-0930) worked on the mechanical work on my '67 Super and I'm also very pleased. The bodywork on my cars and the cars of many Alfisti was done by Carlo Vaniglia of MOdena Autobody (708-423-2239). There are also Al Promisco and Erik Goldman, both do excellent mechanical work.

I would suggest you join our local CAROC club, it's a great way to exchange this type of info. I won't tell you any more until you join. Just kidding.

If you have further questions, send me a PM.
Carm
Attached Images

L'Alfista

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'60 Giulietta Sprint
'64 Giulia Spider Veloce
'65 Giulia Sprint Speciale
'71 1750 GT Veloce
'81 GTV6

Last edited by Chi Si Dici; 03-30-2009 at 04:17 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 07:42 PM

We are lucky to have several very good people here in the Chicago area. In addition to the two or three already mentioned Al Promisco at Italia Automobili in Northbrook is also superb. If you have the money, then, perhaps, the best body shop for Italian restoration may be Skip McCabe in Mundelein. He does a LOT of work for the Ferrari and "high-end" community and, I beleive, has done Pebble Beach cars. He is not cheap, but he is superb! (Quality is always expensive.)
I agree that the best way to find out who the "good guys" are is to join the local club and attend some meetings to pick their collective brains. I personally was a member for 7-8 years prior to buying my GTV, as I wanted to have the guidance only available from those who really knew the reliable players.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 07:55 PM

I forgot to give you Al's phone. (847) 480-8980. Your choice for restoration shops may hinge more on where you live. Givanni is in the city on the northwest side. Mike is in Glen Ellyn. I know Giovanni from club activities and hear that he is highly regarded by a number of people, but I have no personal experience with him. Mike, I know quite well, and he is highly regarded particularly for building race cars and race engines. He also does routine maintenance and has worked on my car. Al has over 30 years experience and is highly regarded by owners of a variety of high-end cars. He does more restoration and normal repair than race prep. He has done a number of things on my car and rebuilt the engine 2 years ago. I wrote two articles several years ago for the local club newsletter profiling both Mike and Al. Those are still available.
Shop rates, in the Chicago area, are roughly 80-100 per hour, so no one is cheap; however, they are all fair, honest, and do good work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode