Alfa Romeo Forums banner

78 Spider - 4 Cylinder - Fuel injection - Gas Tank

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  6alfas 
#1 ·
Hello, I am replacing my gas tank on my 78 Spider Veloze Iniezione convertible. It is a 4 cylinder - fuel Injection. The replacement tank that came in does not perfectly match the one I am taking out. On the old one there is an extra port to to the left of the main gas input.
My question.
What is the small port used for? Do I need that small port for a fuel injection car. I have attach photos of the old tank and the replacement one.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Each tank has two main ports.

The port in the middle of the tank is where the fuel tank sending unit gets installed.
But if you look at the port on the bottom of the photo (Gas fill up). There are three smaller ports on the old tank and only two small ports on the new tank. I am wondering what that 3rd port is for in regards to the old tank.

#4 ·
Could you use a light and a mirror to see where those ports go in the tank?
I know there were some technical service bulletins where electric in tank fuel pumps got added. Not sure if the tank or venting system was modified though.

I have 2 78 Spiders. One is a parts car and I can probably see the tank. Some Bozo sprayed expanding foam all around the tank at some point........

#7 ·
My question.
What is the small port used for? Do I need that small port for a fuel injection car. I have attach photos of the old tank and the replacement one.
That was the original fuel pick-up tube. When the fuel pump recall came out you took off the hose and put the red cap on it (as shown in sixalfa's pic) ,that port fitting is no longer used. The tank you bought should work fine with the in tank pump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.