Wideband kit recommendations - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Wideband kit recommendations

I think I will need to put something in to help me see what’s up A/F wise when I get this project together. Personally I don’t like the flashy look of the stuff available but I don’t have the energy to design something more fitting to the car — 74 GTV. Here’s a few questions I need help with

1. Where exactly is best placement? Let’s assume I’m going for a single sensor (not two whic I realize would add extra discrimination). How deep into gas flow do I need to get the sensor tip but not impede flow too much? Stock exhaust on 74 GTV

2. For the sake of tuning, has anyone done a temp install, get the mixture set up, then remove it vs having it there all the time? I’d prefer to have a temp setup I think??

3 prices are pretty reasonable these days. Any kits recommendations/ for a permanent install how/where are you installing the gauge?

Thanks! The motor is waiting for some RJR cams.... vroom vroom

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump
71 Spider 1750 BOMBER ; 1995 LS 78K tight fast car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 09:32 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

When I got my car tested, Tom Sahines used an Innovate LM-2 with the adapter for exhaust mounting. So non-permanent mounting, you just stuck the sensor in the exhaust. Seemed to work okay but I don't own one.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 05:40 AM

Garage
I have an LM2 and have used it on many cars. A bung welded 3-4 feet down the exhaust is preferred over the tail pipe adapter because the tail pipe adapter can be slightly off at very low rpm (ala idle). I liked it so much I put a bung on all my classic cars. I use a suction cup mount to install it temporarily (and tape the cable to the side of the car). Once I have my carbs dialed in, I remove the system from that car. I've lent it to friends for the same purpose, but with the tail pipe adapter. It's still working nicely after many years.

I would never leave it permanently mounted in a classic street car. On a race car , maybe I would consider a permanent install because of the cost of a new race motor ($15k and upwards).

John

John F.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 07:02 AM

Three of us in the area sprung for a Zeitronix ZT-2 a few years ago. It has been a very good tool. The O2 sensor can be purchased at NAPA for about $55 to save a few dollars. Similarly, cabling costs can be reduced by shopping around or making your own. I bought the cable from the O2 sensor to the ZT-2 from Zeitronix however. With this arrangement, we only do temporary installs of course. Regardless of the particular brand you decide to buy, data logging capability is a requirement IMO.

Rich Hanning
'65 Sprint GT, '78 Spider, '88 Quad
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 07:28 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I have had a Zeitronix ZT2 in my Spider for about 5 years and I have posted many AFR charts from it in various threads. It has several extra inputs for rpm, EGT and some for linear voltage sensors. I always log rpm and AFR and for a while I logged EGT. My wideband sender is just after the final merge from the headers. I have replaced one sensor during my time of ownership.
I installed a Zeitronix ZT3 in my GTV6 with Megasquirt that I recently sold. When I first installed it I still had Bosch L-Jet engine management with the wideband sensor in the bung for the original narrowband. The ZT3 sent an emulated narrowband signal to the L-Jet computer. The ZT3 does not have the extra inputs for rpm etc.
IMO, rpm logging is essential for engine tuning and I would not consider a Wideband without it unless it was used with Megasquirt or similar which has its own data logger.
If you plan to dyno your motor then you can save a lot of time and money at the dyno by sorting out the carbs or fuel injection with the wideband ahead of time. In my experience there should be no need to tune AFR on the dyno and you can concentrate on tuning ignition timing, cam timing, etc.
I have the Zeitronix in the car at all times and it is very useful if anything feels a little different in the performance or driveability or fuel consumption.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 09:43 AM

Garage
Ed
The only place I’d disagree is on the need for logging rpm. This is because I generally don’t mind glancing over at the AFR while
Driving and I almost always know my approximate rpm (tack is fairly accurate). If I had logging (I don’t), I’d put a throttle position sensor on my carbs (DCOE).

Carbs transition from one circuit to another over ranges of rpm so I don’t find a benefit to knowing the AFR per RPM more accurately than perhaps 300 rpm. Now, if I were doing EFI and Ifnition tuning then I agree that logging is really helpful and you want RPM, ignition advance, throttle position and MAP.

John F.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfeng View Post
Ed
The only place I’d disagree is on the need for logging rpm. This is because I generally don’t mind glancing over at the AFR while
Driving...
For comparison, analysis, and troubleshooting purposes, I completely disagree. Sure, if the only objective is to gain a general understanding of the AFR at approximate engine speeds, then the gauge is fine (although things can get pretty busy during wot runs). Perhaps the difference of opinion is due to different objectives or needs.

Rich Hanning
'65 Sprint GT, '78 Spider, '88 Quad
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 11:06 AM
Platinum Subscriber

John F,
You are a better man than me. I cannot remember exactly where the AFM is changing wrt rpm when the car is on the dyno and I don't have to look where I am going. I can only get a general impression which is nowhere near good enough for Weber tuning unless I wanted to spend an entire day at it.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 08:12 PM
Platinum Subscriber

ZT2 data log

Here is a typical data log of a 3rd gear WOT run for my Spider. You can easily see where it is a little rich and where it is a little lean and you can then make an informed decision on what changes to make to the jets. In this case it might be going one step smaller on the air correctors. Then a repeat WOT run after the changes and you can carefully compare the AFR curves and decide what further changes to make. And you can go back and look at all of the other runs for different Weber setups and gain a good understanding of the effects of changes.
Attached Images

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 04:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Sprint View Post
For comparison, analysis, and troubleshooting purposes, I completely disagree. Sure, if the only objective is to gain a general understanding of the AFR at approximate engine speeds, then the gauge is fine (although things can get pretty busy during wot runs). Perhaps the difference of opinion is due to different objectives or needs.
Yup,
That is it.
you guys are doing tuning at a much finer resolution (higher performance).
I only use mine to get rid of obvious driving flaws. The data plots are really nice. Were i to do it again I'd get that ZT2 rather than the Innovate.

John F.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode