Repair soft mounts - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By alfaparticle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Repair soft mounts

Our 2.L spider motor was converted to twin Webers (40 DCOE) with the soft mounts. Earlier I sprayed the soft mounts with starting fluid and sure enough the idle speed increased and smoothed out. Sounds simple enough, but being the cheap skate I am are the soft mounts easily repairable? In our window business we use a product from Dow Corning called "123". It is a silicone tape about 1/8" thick and comes in various widths from 1" to 12". My thought is to clean the surfaces thoroughly with lacquer thinner, lay a few beads of Dow Corning 795 (bedding sealant) and apply the 123 tape. Sounds simple, has anybody had success/failure with this repair?

I have never had this product not work in our window world as long as the surfaces are clean and dry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 04:10 PM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

See the post on "thoughts on hole in piston" before even considering not replacing insulator / isolators. These ARE a replacement item, like tires, windshield wiper blades and drive shaft rubber donuts. Not replacing deteriorating rubber items is ALWAYS a false economy.
My opinion only, from my own experiences.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Raymond View Post
See the post on "thoughts on hole in piston" before even considering not replacing insulator / isolators. These ARE a replacement item, like tires, windshield wiper blades and drive shaft rubber donuts. Not replacing deteriorating rubber items is ALWAYS a false economy.
My opinion only, from my own experiences.
Gordon,

Thank you for your wisdom, at $25./each it sounds like good value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 07:31 PM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

ANY time the Webers are off, and the engine has more than a year running time, the intake manifold comes off and new insulator / isolators are installed, a new intake manifold gaskets as well as good quality insulator / isolator gaskets. Then whatever Weber work was done, you do not need to worry about airleaks downstream.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 05:53 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
In my opinion, there are a few places on any car that you should not go the cheap route on. They are:

Brakes
Steering
Engine

Brian __________________________________

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:18 AM
Platinum Subscriber

There are reports of quality variations in these things and that Pirelli are best if you can find them.
Gordon Raymond likes this.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I have been using the soft mounts that came with a Euro intake manifold/Weber carb setup a few years ago. I found time today to remove them and they look old. Is there a life expectancy for the soft mounts? Is Centerline a good source?

thanks
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 05:50 PM

I have had some that last ten years and some that seem to barely last four or five. Could be due to the quality variation Ed referred to. Centerline is probably as good as any other supplier.

Rich Hanning
'65 Sprint GT, '78 Spider, '88 Quad
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Great, we sourced a new set of carb mounts and was able to install last weekend. Got her all together, adjusted the valves, checked compression (170# cold) and fired her up. Same lopey idle, bouncing vacuum gauge and still appears to have a vacuum leak. Engine idling speed increases and smoothes out when starting fluid is sprayed at the soft mounts, before and after the new mounts. I am hesitant to slather the carb mounting and soft mounting gaskets with Permatex sealer, but cannot think of where else a vacuum leak could exist?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 07:08 PM

I share your lack of enthusiasm for applying sealer to the soft mount gaskets but if they are leaking, not many options. Can you tell if the leak(s) are occuring between the mounts and the manifold or between the mounts and the carbs? It would be nice to be able to identify exactly where the problem exists.

Rich Hanning
'65 Sprint GT, '78 Spider, '88 Quad
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
It would be nice to be able to identify exactly where the problem exists.

Yes, I am not sure how to isolate the source.

I have heard of a smoke test where smoke is introduced into the intake manifold under a very small amount of pressure. Nothing pops up when searching "smoke test"
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:16 PM

Garage
The smoke test is fantastic for testing leaking windshields and rear glass��.
(Not sure why I added that, but....it's true!)

[B][I][U]Current[/U][/I][/B]
1984 Spider Veloce Deluxe
1969 GT 1300 JR
1969 1750 Spica Spider Veloce
1963 MGB
1952 MG TD
Others??!!!😃😃

Last edited by Yachtman; 09-04-2019 at 07:23 PM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 08:29 PM

Garage
Why must you have soft mounts?

It's Giuseppe's giubos, not Guido's guibos, on my 78 Spider and Sport Sedan
REFRESH CONNECTIONS BEFORE REPLACING COMPONENTS
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 09:00 PM

The aluminium mounts are much better. My last set of rubber mounts were made by Akron. Didn't last more than a few months.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

'73 Euro 2000 GTV (2008 - present)
'85 Giulietta 116 (2001-02)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode