• 1 Post By Gordon Raymond

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
Museum Item?

Anybody ever see these on an Alfa outside of a museum? Never seen one. Are they necessary like the one aluminum washer on the valve cover bolt?

FL085 CARBURETTOR EARTH STRAP

Earth strap to fit the carburettor mounts on all 105 Series carburettor cars. Often missing or damaged on many cars we see, ideal to replace when you fit new carburettor mounts.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 03:38 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Sure, it's a good idea to make sure the carbs are grounded, and my GTV has one.

With metal end links they'll probably be grounded through the throttle linkage as well, but suspenders and a belt I guess.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Maybe via a greasy ball joint if you have aluminum ends and not plastic. And with rubber mounts. Guess you need two, one for each??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 05:18 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I've seen a lot of them on the 60's cars I've worked on over the years. You only need one. As the 2 carbs are connected by the carb linkage in the middle.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Ive seen some carb linkage ends, many in fact, with plastic connectors. I've replaced them with metal. Dunno if I trust a greasy ball joint for a good ground. Would you use that on your headlights?? Methinks not.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 05:34 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I was talking about the ground strap. The carbs are connected in the middle were the Weber linkage connects the 2 carbs together is all metal. Which is why you only need one ground strap for both carbs.

The original long rod on the 60's cars was all plastic. While the carbs could get there ground from the bellcrank the plastic ends were used form the mid 60's on.

Even with grease the metal ends do wear on the metal balls which are not easily replaceable.
Tom Frasca likes this.

1969 1750 Spider Veloce w/dual webers, 1969 1750 Berlina, 1971 1750 Spider Veloce w/ dual webers, 1985 Spider Veloce 23,000 orig. miles, {Two} 1986 Spider Veloces, 1987 Spider Veloce bought new, 1988 Quadrifoglio, 1991 164S, Plus several more. I think they are breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I just got 2 more. Now I have a Matta. I must be crazy.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I guess if I in fact need a ground on the carbs (like the big engine to body strap), using the headlight ground analogy, I'd tend to never rely on any mechanical moving joint. Hardwired. If I would not run my headlight ground through it, why rely on it here unless it's not really necessary? For $4 ea I can afford 2.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 09:07 AM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Yes, street cars might need them, while many racers (me) may or may not use one. Believe it or not, there IS a electronic differential between engine and Webers without the ground strap, engine running. Air passing through Webers may generate a static charge on the Webers. This seems to be a running condition only, so I think it's caused by airflow. My GTA engine has never had a grounding strap. If I adjust the idle mix in semi darkness, my screwdriver tip generates a SPARK as it gets close to any idle mix screw.
Is this dangerous? Fifty plus years with this engine, adjusting idle mix, nothing has blown up or ignited fuel vapors. Another 1600 single plug race engine I own had the strap, and no static spark from idle adjust screw. I replaced insulator / isolator rubbers, and left the strap off, and now it has the spark-in-the-dark, like the GTA engine.
This may be some left over ignition static, I don't know. You cannot "feel" it if you touch the screws or Webers with your fingers when the engine is running. I will leave the actual cause of the electrical differential to one who really knows where it comes from.
All from my own experiences over time.
Anfanuts likes this.

Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:52 PM

I've seen ground straps like this on the 750 veloce manifold. They are there to groind the water temp sending unit which otherwise would be isolated from ground since the waterpipe is attached to the manifold by rubber hoses.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:36 PM

on Euro set ups the lower part wich attach to the carbs of the air cleaner also connect metal with metal between both carbs, its not only the linkage wich interconnects them metal wise, and yes, all the cars Ive work with did have the ground strap between carbs & manifold
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 05:30 PM

As noted by others, these ground straps were present on several Weber carbed Alfas I owned in the 60's. I don't recall them being on Solex carbed cars, and don't know how essential they were.
Sfourza
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 05:53 PM

Garage
As far as I can look back there is no Alfa Part # in any reference material I have... seems to make sense, I have a grounding engine and transmission strap..

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:32 PM

I have restored a 750 Spider Veloce, two 101 Sprint Veloces and one 101 SS and all of them have carburetor grounds. I found original grounds on three of those cars. The Normale cars did not need carburetor grounds because there are no rubber carburetor mounts. I use to own a 1967 105 Spider and it had one carburetor ground.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode