Spica Spider intermittent cutout/hesitation - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Spica Spider intermittent cutout/hesitation

Hi there all. On my 77 spider with Spica it will intermittently cutout/hesitate for just a heartbeat. This will only happen after driving for about 20 min on the highway, then at about 10 minute intervals. The latest thing that I've tried is to unhook the wire from the microswitch to the FCS and this seems to have eliminated it, at least made it way better, no symptoms in an hour and a half of driving. Does that make sense? I've searched threads about the microswitch and they indicate it's all or nothing, not intermittent.
New plugs, newish 123 dist, new fuel filters, fuel pressure tested, fuse box cleaned, gas tank venting checked, ignition switch ohm checked, volts to fuel pump checked, coil ohms checked.

Cheers,

Carson, 4 Alfa's, 9 Cars, 4 Motorcycles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:24 PM

Garage
How old are the spark plug wires?

Have you taken a peek inside the dizzy cap?

I would clean and tighten/refresh the connectors at the Spica pump in case they're loose and/or corroded.

It's Giuseppe's giubos, not Guido's guibos, on my 78 Alfas
REFRESH CONNECTIONS BEFORE REPLACING COMPONENTS
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemilano View Post
Hi there all. On my 77 spider with Spica it will intermittently cutout/hesitate for just a heartbeat. This will only happen after driving for about 20 min on the highway, then at about 10 minute intervals. The latest thing that I've tried is to unhook the wire from the microswitch to the FCS and this seems to have eliminated it, at least made it way better, no symptoms in an hour and a half of driving. Does that make sense? I've searched threads about the microswitch and they indicate it's all or nothing, not intermittent.
New plugs, newish 123 dist, new fuel filters, fuel pressure tested, fuse box cleaned, gas tank venting checked, ignition switch ohm checked, volts to fuel pump checked, coil ohms checked.

Cheers,
I've not heard of the micro switch failing in that manner but I see no reason why it couldn't. If the motor doesn't cutout or backfire on decel with it disconnected I'd be inclined to leave it off. It is no small task to replace it as I believe you'd have to remove the entire SPICA pump to gain access.

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Ok, thank you. No backfiring, it does seem to burble now on engine braking which I think sounds kinda cool.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemilano View Post
Ok, thank you. No backfiring, it does seem to burble now on engine braking which I think sounds kinda cool.
Burbling is very cool! Drive it and enjoy it.

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 03:35 PM
Gold Subscriber

Try a new coil, lots of time a coil will test good (static ohms) but have a crack in the windings that show up when it heats up, or begins to vibrate (engine is running). Also are you sure your coil is correct for the 123 distributor?

Bye
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Hi there, I'm pretty sure I checked that the coil I had was more than one ohm primary, it's just a standard bosch one. I do have a spare bosch blue which I could swap in easy enough. Thank you.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
So this ended up being the 123 distributor.. As a last straw I put the old marelli dual point distributor back in, hooked the timing light up, set to the M mark at 5000, went for a Long drive, as it seemed my problem was heat related, it was a warm day too. Anyways, it ran great! So great that on the way back to town there is a long straight out in the middle of no where, so it was like, how fast can I go.... Holed the number one piston. Sigh. Turns out there is a tiny 4 line blurb on the 123 website about sometimes the distributor cutting out from being triggered by it's built in over voltage protection, after the battery has been fully charged. 123 has been great though, I just took the De Rosa into town to send it back to the Netherlands for a repair. I really just want the car to run well. I was supposed to use it for a trip July 6th.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode