Missing parts under hood - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Missing parts under hood

My 1978 spider seems to be missing some parts. Drives fine but I smell fuel especially if top is up. There is no fuel odor in trunk and compression tubes, fuel filler tube looks fine and has tight connection and top of fuel pump looks fine. I am wondering if it could be from these problems.

1) I am missing a connection with an open pipe close to the motor. Seems it should be connected to something. 2) The air intake in the front to the air filter is not connected.
3) There is an empty round bracket near the coolant reservoir.

Hope someone can shed some light. I need to order another manual because the owners workshop manual I have does not address (foto attached). Could someone recommend a better one?

I'm working towards making this my daily drive here in Florida.

Thanks
mari
Attached Images

sbadaro likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 11:39 PM

Clean looking engine bay. I would say your spider has had "some" modifications, starting with your comments in reverse order :
3. The round holder in front of the coolant expansion reservoire sits where the battery is sitting on my stock 1982 spider (guessing your battery has been relocated to trunk?), the round holder itself looks a lot like the holder for the oil catch on my modified GTJ (to the right of the engine bay in my case)... I am guessing that's it here.
2. The front tube funnels air to the filter box and doesn't close flush on my spider either. I wouldn't worry about it.
1. You need to check where the other end of the open hose terminates (or post better photo). My guess is it could be the crank ventialtion hose which MAY have been intended to feed into the oil catch which MAY have been installed on the other side of the engine bay (as in number 3 above).
Now back to gas fumes from the carburators. Yeah... It smells great doesn't it?

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 01:37 AM

if by open pipe you mean the grey "snorkel" on the spica air cleaner box, that was for california smog vehicles.
Had a hose going over the engine (cam cover had 2 big plastic U-clips to hold it) to a hot air collector over the exhaust manifold

like here:
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/716975-post5.html
sbadaro likes this.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderserie4 View Post
if by open pipe you mean the grey "snorkel" on the spica air cleaner box, that was for california smog vehicles.
Had a hose going over the engine (cam cover had 2 big plastic U-clips to hold it) to a hot air collector over the exhaust manifold

like here:
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/716975-post5.html
Or that...

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 02:30 AM

oh and that bracket would have been for the air filter for the smog air pump

like here:
Attached Images

sbadaro likes this.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderserie4 View Post
oh and that bracket would have been for the air filter for the smog air pump

like here:
Or that...

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for your input. In the 78 spider the battery is mounted in the trunk. Not sure what year that changed to under the hood. Once I get these issues squared away, I need to change the instrument panel lights, fix the defroster fan, add a few interior trim pieces. As for the gas fumes, it's top down here in Florida unless it's raining. lol
sbadaro likes this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Spiderserie4. I've seen that photo on the board. I don't have the U clips. Do you think I should connect a hose and find a way to terminate to filter? Could that be the source of the fumes?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok. it's starting to make some sense. Could I connect a hose to an air filter in the empty bracket? You referenced a smog air pump. Would that be absolutely necessary or would filter be enough? Now, I'm pretty sure the snorkel is blowing exhaust into the front of the car. As you probably can tell, I have no real mechanic skills. What I know I learned from the school called You Tube. Just finished restoring my 1998 Isuzu Hombre (Chevy S10) and needed another project. This one is a little more challenging. Appreciate your help.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 08:31 AM

Since you aren't running the air pump, I'd just get the front cover from a pre-smog Spica airbox. That cover will not have the provision for the cross-over hose/duct that originally went to the exhaust manifold. You WILL then need a duct/hose to connect the front of the earlier Spica cover to the air intake tube on the car. (I'm not sure if anyone reproduces these, but there are workarounds). The gap between the plastic bell on the current air box front cover and the sheet metal intake tube on the car is how they came on the emissions era Spica cars.

If you haven't switched from the 1978 one-piece exhaust manifold to the earlier two-piece, it would be a noticeable performance gain. The front section of the exhaust would also need to be retrofitted as well if you make the switch.

Last edited by ronbo5151; 01-07-2019 at 04:19 PM.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 09:48 AM

exactly, if you can find the simpler cover from the pre-smog spica airbox, that would be the neatest solution (photo from an old BB thread shows the 'smog cover' you have presently)

all that smog stuff on the exhaust side was just done away with. I doubt you need it in your State....CA might still require it if (depends on year) you registered the spider there one day.

or leave it as it is.
I can't see that being cause of gas fumes, as the snorkel is just an extra air inlet, taking warm air from the exhaust.

oh, and this shows the gap ronbo mentions:
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/4964225-post1.html
Attached Images

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 03:50 PM

Garage
Do you have a “non-stock” exhaust tip on your car? S2 Spiders tend to generate exhaust fumes in the cabin if they don’t have a downturned exhaust tip. Alfa even put out a factory bulletin. You might find this thread helpful reading.

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spi...in-source.html

Here’s the Service Bulletin

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spi...html#post82449

71 Spider

Last edited by Lokki; 01-16-2019 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Added link to bulletin
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Lokki for pointing to the thread. I have a straight pipe. It's worth trying a dump tip to see if that helps. I have a bigger problem now with running on. Going to pull the ignition this weekend and check the contacts vs sticking solenoid.
More later.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, I built up a little confidence and decided to jump in and try and fix my recent problem with run on and no start. Have been afraid to try and start it because the last time it was screeching like a sick cat and had to disconnect the battery to shut it down. Luciano at Auto Veloce Miami recommended disconnecting the CSS. Yesterday, I pulled the air box and disconnected the CSS. Put it back together and it still took 3 tries to start. Drove it around the golf course 5-6 miles and it had a low hum the entire time. With a bit of research, realized it's probably the gear pinion not reseated.

Ordered new starter yesterday and today spent a good part of the day trying to pull the 40 year old starter so I'm ready when it arrives, Still only got one bolt out so far after several WD40 baths. Trouble is there is not enough room for a socket and only have a short 13mm wrench and no leverage. Looks like tool shopping tomorrow.

While working, I noticed some wires missing. There is a picture of the pump. On the left is the CSS (had wire attached to starter). On the right not sure what that is and it has a male spade but had no wire attached.

The other picture behind the starter is another part with a broken wire attachment and I found a red wire that looks like it broke off.

I was unable to locate these on the wiring diagram that I have in my manual. I'm sure someone can help clear this up for me. Thanks in advance.

mari
Attached Images

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 06:05 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

2nd picture looks like an oil pressure sensor. If you hook it up and it doesn't work, it's most likely kaput, as they all seem to do sooner or later.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode