E-Fuel Pumps for Carbs - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
E-Fuel Pumps for Carbs

Hey there

I converted my car recently to an electric fuel pump (Facet Cube 7-10PSI) that I got cheap from "some guy" that used it for his webers on a Golf (Rabbit). Well ever since I mounted the pump i had problems. The car would overheat slightly especially when the weather was hot. I used the original fuel regulator that came with the car. I swapped the old regulator then for a slightly more modern one (https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p...r-8mm-pf-reg-5)
It ran fine at first but eventually my car started stalling or only running well at very high RPM. You guessed it: the carbs were floated. I tried turning down the regulator but it didn't help. I eventually got home thanks to the lambda probe which would let me turn on the pump when the carbs were leaning out ... not really a fun drive, but I was happy i fitted the probe.

I ultimately looked at my cube and stupid me finally realized that I bought the strongest version that pushed the said 7-10 PSI or Way too much

Long story short:

I know i need a "smaller" pump - and I get to chose between 1,5-4 PSI and 3-4,5 PSI from facet. What have others chosen here?

...and why do they cite a range instead of straight 4 PSI? Is because it can be regulated between those numbers?

Thanks a lot and bear with me.

Thanks!
Alessandro

Learning, learning..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 09:09 AM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

This is fairly simple. The correct fuel pump is the low pressure high volume FACET pump pictured below. It must be mounted back, by the tank, as this pump "pushes" fuel. It does not "pull" or lift fuel very well. If you wish to use an aftermarket filter / regulator, the best is the Filter King pictured below with an Alfa FRB 11 for comparison. The Filter King has a greater range of pressure adjustment than the FISPA FRB11. Fuel pressure should be set at 3# or less.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey Gordon,

Thanks for responding

That is exactly where I have my current fuel pump mounted. Pushing is not the problem here but it pushing too much.

I have been using the regulator/filter on the left of your picture before I resorted to the one linked.

Why would you go for the "old"-style pumps? Do they have a clear advantage that i wasnt able to find? I see plenty of people using the cube or posi-flow ones. They seem to have gotten the pressure correct though...

kind regards
Alessandro

Learning, learning..

Last edited by AlessandroM; 08-19-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 09:17 AM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

The little Facet cube ones are not great pumps. The larger Facet Gold ones are better.

I've got the one Centerline sells. It's been working well with a similar regulator to yours to knock it down to a consistent ~2.5 PSI.

https://centerlinealfa.com/catalog/f...p-bendix-repro

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 09:20 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlessandroM View Post
The car would overheat slightly especially when the weather was hot.
That is odd. I believe cars will run hotter when the mixture is too lean. But with excess fuel pressure, I would think your car would have been running too rich. You may have a separate problem with the cooling system.

Quote:
I ultimately looked at my cube and stupid me finally realized that I bought the strongest version that pushed the said 7-10 PSI or Way too much
As Gordon wrote, a low pressure, cylindrical, Facet pump is the way to go. The cube-shaped Facet pumps will work OK (again, use a low pressure model), but I believe the cylindrical pumps are higher quality for not a lot more money.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
@Alfajay

Yeah I was also thinking lean = hot. It only really got hotter when I had to drive slowly. And not excessively but noticeably. But to be honest I haven't driven the car in over a year (restored the underbody in that time) So it could just be me...

@Gubi & @Alfajay

Why is it then that the cylindrical ones are so much better? I tried to investigate before I bought the cube but I haven't found a single argument besides the cylindrical ones being "period correct".

Learning, learning..

Last edited by AlessandroM; 08-19-2018 at 09:36 AM.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 09:43 AM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Higher quality. Supposedly smoother pressure pulses. Integrated, cleanable filter at the bottom of the pump.

Oh, and the cube doesn't have the anti-drainback valve, which is a nice feature.

Tom

1974 GTV
1991 Spider

Last edited by Gubi; 08-19-2018 at 09:45 AM.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I really don't mean to defend the cube (after all mine wasnt the correct one..) but I have a hard time believing that the pulses are worse than the mech pump I had before.

You're right the cube doesn't but the posi-flo's ("newer" cube) do have it.

What is it then with the max and min pressure - is it that the pump can be regulated between these boundaries?

Learning, learning..
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 11:21 AM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

You need a regulator AT THE WEBERS to adjust pressure. Webers may need high flow rates for racing with modified 2L's but pressure is not helpful. Particularly with brass float Webers. The floats weigh 26 grams, and with needles and seats of 2.0 or larger, it is possible for pressure to overwhelm float weight causing flooding. Later design Webers that used plastic floats have different float hanger geometry, and will tolerate a bit more pressure. How much? I don't know as I've never checked.
However, the regulator serves 2 or 3 purposes. Most have a built in filter. The diaphragm absorbs a bit of the fuel pulses from most types of fuel pumps, reducing wear to the float "paddle" from the needle. The third purpose is to be sure pressure is low enough not to overwhelm floats, yet volume high enough to keep the fuel level in the bowls constant.
Suggested pressure for Webers with up to 2.0 N & S is 3# running. This is for brass float designs, and is fine for plastic floats as well. The low pressure will depend somewhat on engine use, the intent to keep fuel level in the bowls from dropping with constant high rpm use.
From my personal experience with Webers over many years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 01:01 PM
Platinum Subscriber

As Gordon wrote, the Facet pump pushes well but it does not suck very well and it is a good choice for a tank where the fuel line is from the bottom. In my experience it is not the best choice for a tank with a fuel line that goes in through the top unless you also have an in-tank pump.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey Guys

Maybe I'm missing something but how is the level of lines and pump relevant for my initial question? :-) I have too much fuel - not starvation. And the regulator is in its original position next to the carbs.

My initial questions were really:

1. What facet pump have you guys chosen with what pressure? (Cylindrical I see but there are different psi rating and ranges)
2. What does the PSI Range mean?

Thanks!

Learning, learning..
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 01:15 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

1) See the one I linked to. 4-5 psi.
2) It probably depends on flow rate. The pump can produce more pressure at lower flow.

Tom

1974 GTV
1991 Spider
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
@Gubi Thanks. But why the 4-5 when everyone says one should go for 3psi ~? Because of question 2.?

Learning, learning..
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 01:36 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlessandroM View Post
Why is it then that the cylindrical ones are so much better?
- I suspect the cylindrical pumps last longer.
- The cylindrical pumps probably can deliver more volume (which may be irrelevant for a small-displacement street car).
- I don't know, but perhaps the pressure pulses are less pronounced on the cylindrical pumps.
- The cylindrical pumps have a built-in filter.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 01:43 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

As I said, I've got a regulator in-line at the carbs to drop it to ~3 PSI. The lowest pressure pump in the Gold-Flo line looks like it's 2.75-4 PSI, so you'd probably still want a regulator with that as you're targeting 2.5-3 for the Webers. The regulator also helps smooth out the fuel pulses, I'm sure.

I don't think those little disc regulators deal too well with too high an input pressure, but they'll easily step it down from 5 to 3 PSI.

Tom

1974 GTV
1991 Spider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode