E-Fuel Pumps for Carbs - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
thanks guys, that helped me quite a bit!

Learning, learning..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 02:33 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Both the cube pump and the disc regulator that I owned were junk. Take the advice of the experts and buy an appropriate pump and a Filter King regulator. If you ask for advice and several experienced people tell you the same thing then you probably should trust them.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 05:27 PM
Richard Jemison
Platinum Subscriber

Fuel pump for Webers

I have this pump on the Duetto Race can, the Montreal powered "Coupe" with 4 DCOEs, my engine break in stand, and the Onan generator in my Motor home. All with pressure gauges show 3.0 to 3.2 PSI.
Cost $40.00

https://www.ebay.com/p/Electric-Fuel....c100005.m1851

Richard Jemison
RJR Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you are dead you don`t know it.
Only those around you are distressed.
Same with stupid"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
@alfaparticle
Two things:
- I already have the original fuel filter diaphragm that came with my car. I actually started testing with that but it didn't work that well hence I tried with the disc-one.
- Im totally listening to the experienced people but I don't see anything wrong in asking why people actually think it is superior. I will ultimately ask facet whether the cyl-type are more durable.
@Alfar7
I actually read in another thread that you are using that no-name pump which I found interesting and sort of brought me off the idea to buy the way more expensive pump.
Do you use any regulator?

Thanks guys
Alessandro

Learning, learning..
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 05:15 AM
Trained (ex)Professional

1953-2018 RIP

Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

@AlessandroM
I am curious as to why you are switching from the stock engine mounted mechanical pump to an electric pump.

Jim

Series 2 USA 1750 GTV (in Series 1 European clothing)
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
@papajam

There's no definite 'hard' reason to it.

I don't daily my car and I don't want to always stress the starter to fill the bowls.
And I will eventually convert my car to EFI and thus making fuelpushing an external concern is something less to connect/disconnect when I revert to carbs (besides swapping the fuel pump obviously)

While more reasonable thats also why I swapped to an electric fan setup.

Learning, learning..
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 07:57 AM
Trained (ex)Professional

1953-2018 RIP

Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlessandroM View Post
I don't daily my car and I don't want to always stress the starter to fill the bowls.
That's exactly the reason I use an electric pump as well. But only to fill the bowls. Then the engine runs on the stock mechanical pump.
The 30 some odd year old cube pump I'm using, mounted in the rear of the car, is activated via a toggle switch that is fed from the ignition switch. It pulls fuel from a stock, top discharge fuel sending unit. To start the car, turn on the ignition and then electric fuelpump. The electric pump then pushes fuel straight through the check valves in the mechanical pump (the check valves prevent fuel drainback FROM the engine, not to the engine). After the bowls are filled, turn off the electric pump and then start/drive the car as normal. The mechanical pump will pull fuel straight through the cube pump. A stock filter/regulator is installed in the factory location between the mechanical pump and the carbs.
An added benefit to this setup is that in the event of a stock pump failure, just turn on the electric pump.

Jim

Series 2 USA 1750 GTV (in Series 1 European clothing)
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Raymond View Post
This is fairly simple. The correct fuel pump is the low pressure high volume FACET pump pictured below. It must be mounted back, by the tank, as this pump "pushes" fuel. It does not "pull" or lift fuel very well. If you wish to use an aftermarket filter / regulator, the best is the Filter King pictured below with an Alfa FRB 11 for comparison. The Filter King has a greater range of pressure adjustment than the FISPA FRB11. Fuel pressure should be set at 3# or less.
Hi Gordon,
is this Malpassi/King a good regulator as the King of your photo?
Thanks
Attached Images

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 08:10 AM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Not the exact one, jacky71, but they all function in a similar manner. I've seen small and larger versions, with and without pressure gauge. If you google Filter King, or look on E-bay you can see they make a few variations. Current production uses all fuel proof diaphragms and seals. These have been available for years, so I do not know how far back components were "fuel-proof". I do know that unless updated with a new diaphragm and bowl seal, original FISPA FRB 11's will leak, and original diaphragms will harden and fail. I restore / update a lot of these.
Racers use the larger Filter King, and like the built in gauge. I usually recommend the one with the gauge as these are not OEM FISPA for concourse, but used as replacements or for function. The gauge makes set up easier than temporary or permanent install of a separate gauge.
jacky71 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 09:21 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Racers use the larger Filter King, and like the built in gauge. I usually recommend the one with the gauge as these are not OEM FISPA for concourse, but used as replacements or for function. The gauge makes set up easier than temporary or permanent install of a separate gauge.
Not just racers

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 09:59 AM

Garage
I read this post ...a few questions my mechanical pump went bad on my 1600. I replaced it (mechanical) and an inline filter. Other then having to crank it to get fuel to the carbs when it its for a while, all is well, and it starts immediately everytime and runs the stock 1600 with zero issues. Gordon keyed in on several issues , but the unknown is what is this fuel system connected to? My own preference is to K.I.S.S. if your running a stock setup. I do not have a pressure regulator and the stock 40 MM webers are set to spec.I rarely push it to 6000 but it will....and the plugs and AFR are all good..

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 12:58 PM
Platinum Subscriber

It depends to a degree on the size of the float valves in your Webers. Bigger valves are less tolerant of higher pressure. My 45DCOE152's get sufficient fuel at WOT/7000 rpm with 2.5 psi. The float valves are 2.0 and 3.5 psi will cause them to flood.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

Last edited by alfaparticle; 08-24-2018 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Changed float valve from 3.0 to 2.0
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Raymond View Post
Not the exact one, jacky71, but they all function in a similar manner. I've seen small and larger versions, with and without pressure gauge. If you google Filter King, or look on E-bay you can see they make a few variations. Current production uses all fuel proof diaphragms and seals. These have been available for years, so I do not know how far back components were "fuel-proof". I do know that unless updated with a new diaphragm and bowl seal, original FISPA FRB 11's will leak, and original diaphragms will harden and fail. I restore / update a lot of these.
Thanks for the very comprehensive answer as always.
Initially, I need a regular setup, so I was thinking of rebuild this model of regulator rather than a Fispa.
Buying today a revision kit I should be sure to find materials suitable for actual fuels.
Some advice on where to buy spare parts?
Thank you
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajam View Post
That's exactly the reason I use an electric pump as well. But only to fill the bowls. Then the engine runs on the stock mechanical pump.
The 30 some odd year old cube pump I'm using, mounted in the rear of the car, is activated via a toggle switch that is fed from the ignition switch. It pulls fuel from a stock, top discharge fuel sending unit. To start the car, turn on the ignition and then electric fuelpump. The electric pump then pushes fuel straight through the check valves in the mechanical pump (the check valves prevent fuel drainback FROM the engine, not to the engine). After the bowls are filled, turn off the electric pump and then start/drive the car as normal. The mechanical pump will pull fuel straight through the cube pump. A stock filter/regulator is installed in the factory location between the mechanical pump and the carbs.
An added benefit to this setup is that in the event of a stock pump failure, just turn on the electric pump.
Hi Papajam,
very interesting upgrades. What features must the pumps have for this system?
Thank you
Tom Frasca likes this.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 03:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by papajam View Post
We had rarely driven the car, now that we(my wife and I) are retired we drive it with more frequency. I will install pump as you described. Always good to have a backup plan.(I do carry a spare). And, of course-some ignition bits and a AAA gold card!!! Which pump do you use?

The older I get.. the faster I was....
Tom

Last edited by Tom Frasca; 08-25-2018 at 03:31 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode