Gasoline Preservative for Gasoline/Ethanol Fuel - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Gasoline Preservative for Gasoline/Ethanol Fuel

I have rebuilt many fuel systems (1958 Spider, 1967 Duetto, 1958 507 BMW, 1973 Series III XKE, etc) that had old gasoline mixed with ethanol. The car will not start or run very rough due to a yellow colored residue. I recommend using a product called Ethanol Shield and it works great in my restored 1961 Sprint Veloce and in my lawn mower and edger. I put it in the gas tank once a year and also when I fill up the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 04:33 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Is this any better than Sta-bil 360 stuff?

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 05:58 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I'd used Sta-bil in gas systems the past, and on a recommendation this year tried Seafoam - in the lawn mower, as I don't care quite as much about it (i.e.= test bed). Seemed to work well there.

I run 100% gasoline in the 1976 Spider, but fuel line antifreeze/water absorber ("Dry Gas") is ethanol...

50 years from now - how are we going to restore a "classic" microprocessor based modern car?? Alfas - 1980 Spider, 1987 Milano, 1976 Spider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 06:46 AM
Platinum Subscriber

According to the Sunoco website, octane rating is more important than ethanol when it comes to fuel stability. Higher octane gas is more refined and 93 has a shelf life of about 1 year if it is stored correctly. 87 octane has a life of a few months under the same conditions.
oz3litre and bruce1976spider like this.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 07:14 AM

Garage
Ethanol fuel (dog doo!) will cause serious damage to carburetors, engines and rubber hoses, etc. if allowed to sit for an extended period of time in humid environments. I will endeavor to only use only non-ethanol 'real' gasoline, like Rec 90 (available near recreational lakes and at most marinas) or even non-ethanol 87 in the older Alfa engines and lawn equipment.

For cars that are driven daily, ethanol is less of an issue.

Mark
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 11:22 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONBLOCK View Post
Ethanol fuel (dog doo!) will cause serious damage to carburetors, engines and rubber hoses, etc. if allowed to sit for an extended period of time in humid environments. I will endeavor to only use only non-ethanol 'real' gasoline, like Rec 90 (available near recreational lakes and at most marinas) or even non-ethanol 87 in the older Alfa engines and lawn equipment.

For cars that are driven daily, ethanol is less of an issue.

Mark
Some of us have no choice.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 01:58 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
An App in the Playstore called Pure Gas attempts to show places that sell non-ethanol gasoline. Usually near the coast or marinas (for boats) and some in rural farming area.

Anfanuts; Ph.A., B.S.A., U. of NOTASME
Now
- Spider Veloce, '69 US1750/4.56 LSD (
)(
) - since '75 for that early mid-life crisis!
- Pinyo - '72 Super, 2L/4.30LSD (
)(
) - for that late mid-life crisis!!
- Gina Lolo Bianca - '65 early Series 1 Super, white/lt.blue-gray, stock 1600/4.56

- for the heck of it now!!!
- Dijonaise- '73 Giulia Super 1.6, Giallo Piper/black, very stock (
) - for the 2017 Euro trip -

- "PF Ziggy" - 1991 ES-30 Sprint Zagato #550 - for pure hedonism now -

Gone-
- El Blanco - '75 Super, ex-Nuova to earlier Super style, 2L/4.30LSD, white/gray-black -
-

- Colonel Mustard - '67 Giulia Sprint GTV, Giallo Ocra/black, very stock, 1600 (
) -

- '70 1300 TI, 2L/4.10LSD, white/black - for a short while only . . .
- Benjamin - '76 ex-Nuova to 1600 Super (
) - for the 2011 Euro trip
- '69 1750 Berlina (wish I still had)
Links
Pinyo's 2010, 10 wk, 8000 mi "Super" Euro-Trip Blog -

Benjamin's 2011, 7 week, 3500 mile "Super2" Euro-Trip Blog -

Gina Lolo's 2011 Alfa Convention, 3350 mile Roadtrip blog -

Dijonaise's 2017 6 week, 4400 mile Euro Driving Trip blog -

Dijonaise's 2019, 5 week, 3800 mile Euro Driving Trip blog -
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 06:16 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfanuts View Post
An App in the Playstore called Pure Gas attempts to show places that sell non-ethanol gasoline. Usually near the coast or marinas (for boats) and some in rural farming area.
Apple iPhone only, unfortunately. The Android version ("E0") is so poorly rated that I would not bother...

50 years from now - how are we going to restore a "classic" microprocessor based modern car?? Alfas - 1980 Spider, 1987 Milano, 1976 Spider
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

I purchased the Ethanol Shield from a local store, and he said that this worked better than anything on the market including Sta-bil. I have used it for more than one year and would never recommend it if it did not work. The only ethanol free gas in Southern California is racing fuel or aviation fuel and both are illegal for use on public highways.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 08:05 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuni123456 View Post
I purchased the Ethanol Shield from a local store...
When I look on the Internet, I turn up at least 3 different products by that manufacture's name, and even a 2-cycle oil (Just Say No to THAT )
Any more details on the exact stuff?? There's a pink one, an orange one...

Made in China, but I'd bet Sta-Bil is too, nowadays...

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

The product is made by B3C Fuel Solutions, and I purchased an eight ounce bottle part number B3C 1-008. The company sells a number of products and their Website is B3C Fuel Solutions. I am a user and not a dealer for this company. I have not used their mechanic in a bottle product and recommend rebuilding carburetors because the varnish is difficult to remove.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 12:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
Some of us have no choice.
I am sorry Brian! I used to use the Pure-gas app. and had to drive 25 miles north to get 'Rec 90' at Shell Enterprises; where they sell about 25 different types of fuel including racing fuel. Now, real gas is pretty easily available from about 10 different stations within a short drive -not counting marinas.

Hey Cuttlefish, I thought you should know that I found a stash of old 'Osso Di Seppia' newsletters from about 20+ years ago in my closet! Wow, how time flies...

Mark
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 03:08 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONBLOCK View Post
I am sorry Brian! I used to use the Pure-gas app. and had to drive 25 miles north to get 'Rec 90' at Shell Enterprises; where they sell about 25 different types of fuel including racing fuel. Now, real gas is pretty easily available from about 10 different stations within a short drive -not counting marinas.

Hey Cuttlefish, I thought you should know that I found a stash of old 'Osso Di Seppia' newsletters from about 20+ years ago in my closet! Wow, how time flies...

Mark

Mark, thanks to the comment by Bruce (@anfanuts), I got online and found two stations that carry real gasoline. It was a 20 minute drive each way, but well worth it. The station offered 91, 100 and 110 octane gas. They even pumped it for me. I'm happy as a clam.

I still have a few of those old things. I kept one copy of each. It was a fun time trying to get something going. I am so grateful that Wille Roos has taken this thing on. He's done a great job of cataloging all of the cars, putting up the literature website and the Facebook page. It is hard to believe it was twenty years ago.
Anfanuts and IRONBLOCK like this.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 03:46 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
https://www.pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html

I use this site or google search for ethanol-free stations.
bruce1976spider likes this.

Zaza

Current Alfas:

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
1987 Milano Verde
1970 Euro-spec GTV 1750

Refreshing 1750 GTV
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 04:24 PM
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
Does that website have the same info as the App being the same organization?

Searching for "ethanol" reveals a lot of good threads on problems with ethanol fuel and treatments.

One thread discusses the dismal politics and economics (to anyone but agribusiness) of the government mandating ethanol in fuel. This is the grand farce.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode